Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Temple City doesn’t go easy on DUI’s. Sentences for drunk driving have gotten tougher statewide, and local courts do not have a reputation for showing mercy. Penalties now include jail, massive fines, a suspended driver’s license and months or years of court ordered DUI classes. Do not face your DUI without putting up a fight.
The best way to fight a DUI is to speak to a Temple City DUI lawyer. A DUI lawyer is more than just an attorney. They are your counsel, your guide in a difficult time, and above all, they are the only person in the legal system that looks out for your best interests. They may be able to keep you out of jail or even get the DUI charge dropped or dismissed. In many cases they will save you thousands of dollars in fines and fees.
The Cost of a DUI in Temple City
DUI’s have become expensive, more expensive than almost any other non-felony on the books. The steep fines are not just to protect public safety—they are seen as a lucrative source of money for the courts and local government. Temple City is well aware of this and enforces DUI heavily.
If you’re on the wrong end of this enforcement, the penalties you face could be life altering. For a simple first time DUI, the penalties include:
- There is no such thing as a DUI charge that does not include potential jail time. You could spend anywhere from two days to six months behind bars.
- License suspension. If you are convicted of DUI your license will be suspended for anywhere from four months to a year.
- DUI School. You will be ordered into a DUI traffic safety school that lasts at least three months and costs well over $500.
- Fines and Fees. The minimum fine for a DUI is $390, but the court will stack fees on top of this. When all the fees are added up the least you will pay is about $1,800. It’s often much more—in fact, a first-time offense in southern California can cost as much as $15,649.
Under California State Law, you will also be put on probation for at least three years. You may face additional penalties or restrictions during this time.
These are just the first time penalties. Sentences are tougher for repeat offenders:
- Up to 12 months in jail or 16 months in state prison
- Two to three years with no driving
- Up to 30 months of DUI school at a cost of nearly $2,000
- Fines and fees that often go into the tens of thousands of dollars
What to Do after a DUI Arrest in Temple City
In Temple City you may have been arrested by the County Sheriff or a State Trooper out of Baldwin Park, and you will most likely be held at the Sheriff’s Temple Station. After 24 hours you will usually be released either on bail or on your “own recognizance,” a promise to return for court. But being released is only the start of your DUI case. Immediately, you face a series of quick-moving legal deadlines. You must be prepared to act on each of these deadlines before it’s too late.
The major deadlines in a DUI case are:
- The arraignment. Your arraignment may happen within a few days of arrest or it may be several weeks out. It’s a short court hearing where you enter a plea of Guilty of Not Guilty. Beforehand, the prosecutor will typically pressure you to plead Guilty in exchange for a “deal”—this deal is rarely any better than the standard DUI penalties. On the other hand, if you show up at the arraignment with a well known DUI lawyer, the prosecutor may get nervous. They now know that you’re going to put up a real fight, and they may not have time in their schedule to deal with it. Often this is all it takes to get a much better offer.
- The DMV hearing. After your arrest, you have only 10 days to fight for your driver’s license. This is the deadline to request a hearing with the California DMV. If you do not, the DMV will automatically suspend your driver’s license. Ask your lawyer to file the hearing request for you. In many cases, the hearing will be set so far in the future that you can keep your license until trial. If you win your case, you may never have to go to the DMV hearing at all.
- The trial. Your trial will be set 30 to 45 days after your arrest and typically be held at the Alhambra Courthouse—but your case may not get this far. Your DUI lawyer will work to win your case ahead of the trial, challenging the evidence against you until the prosecutor’s case is weak. At that point, they can ask the judge to dismiss your case or drive a hard bargain with the prosecutor. This is when the most impressive wins often happen.
Do You Need a DUI Lawyer?
You are not required to have a lawyer to fight your DUI. But a DUI lawyer can make all the difference in your case. DUI lawyers spend years learning the tactics that are used in drunk driving cases, and when to use each one. They have a strong track record of bringing back a victory in even the toughest DUI cases.
Some of the tactics your lawyer can use include:
- Overturning the chemical test. Any irregularity in a blood test, breath test or urine test may be grounds to have it thrown out of the case.
- Showing police errors. Police make mistakes and sometimes have biases. If your rights were violated, key evidence against you may not be usable.
- Driving a hard bargain. One of the most valuable skills of a DUI lawyer is simply knowing how to negotiate on an even footing with a prosecutor. They will push the prosecutor to offer you an out, such as dropping the charge or reducing it to something far less serious.
Talking to an experienced DUI lawyer may be the single best thing you do for your case.
Speak to a Temple City DUI Lawyer for Free
The DUI system is not fair. You deserve a good lawyer and a strong defense. We can match you with a top Temple City area lawyer who focuses exclusively on DUI cases. Your lawyer will give you a FREE consultation so you can base your decisions on professional legal advice.
The sooner you speak to a lawyer, the more they can do for your case. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 to get your FREE consultation today.