Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Arcadia, CA takes DUI charges seriously. Penalties for DUI have soared, and local courts show little leniency. Sentences include jail time, a suspended driver’s license, mandatory DUI school and thousands upon thousands of dollars in fines. If you’ve been arrested for DUI, you need to put up a fight.
The best way to fight a DUI charge is to have a good Arcadia DUI lawyer on your side. DUI lawyers are trained to spot holes in the case against you, and they know how to turn around even very difficult DUI cases. They can save you a lot of money—and they may be able to win your case.
The Cost of a DUI in Arcadia
The entire state of California has been cracking down on DUI, and Arcadia is no exception. The city routinely conducts large scale DUI checkpoints to get as many arrests as possible. The reason for this is simple: DUI’s are big money. Fines have gone through the roof, and the total price tag for a single first time DUI can be up to $15,649. That is money in the coffers of local government.
Fines aren’t the only penalty you face. California’s DUI laws are complex, and they depend on whether it’s your first, second, or third (or subsequent) DUI. Penalties get steeper for repeat offenses, but are tough even for a first offense. The basic penalties for a first time DUI include:
- Jail time. Even first offenders can now get jail time, ranging from 2 days to 6 months.
- Losing Your License. All DUI convictions carry mandatory license suspension. This will last at least several months and could be up to a year.
- DUI School/Alcohol Treatment. You will be referred to a mandatory “DUI school” class that lasts 3 months and costs you over $500. You could also be ordered into alcohol treatment.
- Fines.The minimum you will pay, between the fine and the special DUI fees, is about $1,800. It goes up sharply from there.
In addition you may have to install an interlock device in your car and you will be on probation for at least three years.
If this is a repeat DUI, the sentences get much steeper. Jail can be up to a year, or you could be sent to prison. License suspension and DUI school can both last for years. And the fines and fees quickly go to $10,000 or more.
How to Beat a DUI in Arcadia
Some DUI’s begin with an accident, some with simply being pulled over. You may be arrested by the local police, the County Sheriff out of Temple Station, or State Troopers operating out of Baldwin Park. And you may or may not spend a night in the Police Department Jail. But no matter how it starts, all DUI cases have one thing in common: you need to take legal action to fight the charges immediately.
As soon as you are arrested, a number of legal deadlines start counting down. Each of these deadlines has an impact on your freedom and your future. In order to beat a DUI in Arcadia, you need to understand each deadline and be prepared for it. They are:
- The DMV Hearing (10 days from arrest). The courts can’t take away your driver’s license unless you’re proven guilty. But the DMV If you do not act quickly, the DMV will suspend your license until your trial date. The only way to avoid this is to file a request for a hearing within 10 days of your arrest. Your DUI lawyer can request the hearing for you, and can represent you at the hearing.
- The Arraignment (7-14 days from arrest). Within two weeks you will have an arraignment. This is a court hearing where you officially enter your plea (Guilty or Not Guilty). It is not a trial. Athough short, the arraignment is the first chance for you to face the prosecutor in court. The prosecutor is looking to see if you’re going to be easy pickings. They want to get a conviction out of you as quickly as possible. If you have already hired a good DUI lawyer before this date, they can see that you’re serious and they will start to consider giving you a better offer.
- The Trial (30-45 days from arrest). Arcadia’s DUI trials are typically held at the El Monte Courthouse. However, you may never have to go to court at all. Your DUI lawyer will work to resolve your case without a trial. They do this by challenging the evidence against you and putting pressure on the prosecution to offer you a way out. This could include dropping the charge, offering a very light penalty, or even reducing the DUI to a lesser offense
Does Having a DUI Lawyer Make a Difference?
Getting a good DUI lawyer is the smartest move you can make. Your attorney will serve as your guide through the legal process. They will use their knowledge of the legal system to make it work for you—getting you every opportunity available to fight your charge. They can make a dramatic difference in a very short time.
Benefits a DUI attorney brings include:
- They know how to challenge the breath or blood test you were forced to take. This crucial evidence could be thrown out.
- They can see errors in police procedure, and the testimony of the arresting officer.
- They know how to drive a hard bargain with the prosecutor to get you a deal fast.
Ultimately, a DUI lawyer can help get your case over with quickly, they can save you money, and they may even be able to win your case outright.
Speak to an Arcadia DUI Lawyer for Free
We believe you deserve a strong defense. That’s why we work to put drivers like you in touch with the right DUI lawyer for your case. We can match you to an Arcadia area lawyer who has knowledge and experience you need. Your lawyer will offer you a full consultation, 100% FREE of charge. This is your chance to make an educated decision about how to pursue your case.
Don’t be a victim of the law. Get the help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 and get your FREE consultation today.