You must defend yourself if you’ve been arrested for DUI in Paramount. Paramount does not go easy in DUI, and your penalties are steep. They include jail time, losing your license, and paying thousands of dollars in fines. It is not an easy road to go down.
That’s why having a Paramount DUI lawyer makes such a difference. DUI lawyers don’t just know the legal system. They also know which specific DUI defenses will work in your case. They can frequently resolve your case without ever having to go to trial and may be able to get you a good deal or get the DUI reduced to a lesser charge.
A Los Angeles DUI lawyer can protect your best interests and mitigate the damage.
The Cost of a DUI in Paramount
DUI is an expensive charge these days. Fines have risen across California, and Paramount is no different. As fines go up, DUI becomes a lucrative source of money for local governments.
A single first-time DUI can now cost up to $15,000. This is part of why Paramount comes down so hard on alleged drunk drivers and why law enforcement routinely sets up DUI checkpoints in the Bellflower/Paramount area.
But a DUI can cost you a lot more than money. It will have lasting effects on your future. California law’s DUI penalties are divided into first, second, third, and subsequent offenses. In theory, first offenders face the lightest punishment, but even a first offense carries heavy penalties. For example:
- Losing your license. Every DUI conviction now results in a suspended license. The minimum suspension term comes out to about four months. It can be far longer.
- Going to jail. Even first-time DUIs can now mean jail time. This ranges from just two days to as long as six months.
- DUI school. You will have to enroll and complete a three-month classroom course known as DUI school at a personal expense of roughly $800.
- Fines. The costs of a DUI are complex and include special court fees and the fine itself. The lowest price tag for a first-time DUI is about $1,800. It can be a lot more.
The consequences are much worse if you have previous DUIs on your record. Jail time can last up to a year, or you could be sent to state prison. You could lose your license for years. Court-ordered DUI programs could cost you thousands of dollars, and the fines and fees could be tens of thousands. Talk to a Paramount DUI attorney today about your case. We will build a strong defense so your life is not thrown into upheaval.
What to Expect in Your Paramount DUI Case
DUIs start in many ways. In Paramount, law enforcement services are provided by the Paramount Substation. State Troopers also patrol the area out of Santa Fe Springs. Any of these agencies may have arrested you, and you could have spent the night in one of several jail facilities, depending on your arrest. Regardless, once you are arrested, the legal road before you is similar to most DUI cases.
A series of legal deadlines mark out that road. Each of these deadlines demands action. You could pay the consequences for years if you miss a deadline or don’t know how to handle it.
The most important deadlines are:
- Your DMV hearing. In California, the DMV will suspend your license automatically unless you take action; this is called administrative suspension. The only way to prevent this is to request a DMV hearing—and you only have ten days to request it.
- Your Arraignment. Your arraignment will likely happen within two weeks of your arrest. This is your first appearance in court. It is not a trial and won’t take more than 20 minutes, but it’s an important first chance to put pressure on the prosecutor.
- Your Trial Date. Your trial date will be set within 45 days at the Bellflower Courthouse. Ideally, you will never actually have to stand trial, as most DUI lawyers resolve most cases without going to court.
The Power of a DUI Attorney
Having a DUI attorney in Paramount on your side gives you power. DUI attorneys navigate the legal system in a way that untrained citizens rarely can. They may have years or even decades of experience with every kind of DUI case, and often their reputation alone opens doors that wouldn’t be available to you alone.
Some of the specific advantages of a DUI lawyer include:
- They can dispute the breath test. Breath, blood, and urine tests are far from reliable. Your attorney can look for errors in yours and potentially get them suppressed as evidence.
- They can challenge officer testimony. Police reports are often full of inconsistencies. Your lawyer can draw these out and show the officers’ mistakes or assumptions.
- They know how to fight a violation of your rights. Any irregularity in being arrested or questioned could mean your rights were violated. Your lawyer can pursue this and potentially get the evidence dropped.
There is no substitute for having a good DUI lawyer in Paramount on your side.
How a DUI Conviction Can Change Your Life
Being convicted of DUI can have long-term impacts on your life, all of which can make it difficult to return to a normal life once you serve your time and pay your fines. First and foremost, you will lose your driver’s license, which makes living a normal life incredibly difficult. Without a driver’s license, you will need to rely on public transportation, friends, or family members to get you to and from school, work, doctor’s appointments, and running errands.
Other issues that might arise when convicted of a DUI include the following:
- A felony DUI conviction will appear on a background check when applying for a job
- Your auto insurance rate will increase once you are permitted to drive again
- You might have difficulty finding a job or holding the one you had when convicted
- How you are perceived by co-workers, employers, and clients can change if you are convicted of DUI
- Personal relationships might also take a step back should you be convicted of DUI
- You might not be accepted into certain colleges or universities because of a conviction
Speak to a Paramount DUI Lawyer for Free
You deserve the best possible defense. We can help you get it. We will match you with a top Paramount area DUI lawyer with the right background for your case. Every lawyer we work with offers a consultation that is 100% free. This is your chance to learn whether a lawyer can help your case.
Don’t let the prosecutor bully you. Get the legal help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call and get your FREE consultation today.