Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
If you’ve been arrested for DUI in Paramount you need to defend yourself. Paramount does not go easy in DUI, and the penalties you face are steep. They include jail time, losing your license, and paying thousands of dollars in fines. It is not an easy road to go down.
That’s why having a Paramount DUI lawyer makes such a difference. DUI lawyers don’t just know the legal system, they also know which specific DUI defenses are most likely to work in a case like yours. They can frequently resolve your case without ever having to go to trial. They may be able to get you a good deal, or get the DUI reduced to a lesser charge. They may even be able to win your case for you.
The Cost of a DUI in Paramount
DUI is an expensive charge these days. Fines have risen across California and Paramount is no different. As fines go up, DUI becomes a lucrative source of money for local government. A single first time DUI can now cost up to $15,000. This is part of why Paramount comes down so hard on alleged drunk drivers, and why law enforcement routinely sets up DUI checkpoints in the Bellflower/Paramount area.
But a DUI can cost you a lot more than money. It will have lasting effects on your future. California law’s set of DUI penalties are divided into first, second, and third+ offenses. In theory, first offenders face the lightest punishment, but even a first offense carries heavy penalties. For example:
- Losing your license. Every DUI conviction now results in a suspended license. The minimum suspension term comes out to about four months. It can be far longer.
- Going to jail. Even first time DUI’s can now mean jail time. This ranges from just two days to as long as six months.
- DUI school. You will have to enroll and complete a three-month classroom course known as DUI school, at a personal expense of roughly $800.
- Fines. Costs of a DUI are complex and include special court fees as well as the fine itself. The lowest price tag for a first time DUI is about $1,800. It can be a lot more.
If you have previous DUI’s on your record, the consequences are much worse. Jail time can last up to a year, or you could be sent to state prison. You could lose your license for years. Court-ordered DUI programs could cost you thousands of dollars, and the fines and fees could be in the tens of thousands.
What to Expect in Your Paramount DUI Case
DUI’s start many ways. In Paramount, law enforcement services are provided by the County Sheriff operating out of the Lakewood Station and the Paramount Substation. The area is also patrolled by State Troopers out of Santa Fe Springs. Any of these agencies may have arrested you, and you could have spent the night in one of several jail facilities depending on your arrest. Regardless, once you are arrested, the legal road before you is similar for most DUI cases.
That road is marked out by a series of legal deadlines. Each of these deadlines demands action. If you miss a deadline or don’t know how to handle it, you could pay the consequences for years.
The most important deadlines are:
- Your DMV hearing. In California the DMV will suspend your license automatically unless you take action. This is called administrative suspension. The only way to prevent this is to request a DMV hearing—and you only have 10 days to request it. The clock starts ticking as soon as you’re arrested. Get a DUI lawyer right away and ask them to handle the hearing for you.
- Your Arraignment. You arraignment will likely happen within two weeks of your arrest. This is your first appearance in court. It is not a trial, and it won’t take more than 20 minutes. But it’s an important first chance to put pressure on the prosecutor. Prosecutors are overworked, and if they see that you have a reputable DUI lawyer, they will already start to think about offering you a deal.
- Your Trial Date. Your trial date will be set within 45 days at the Bellflower Courthouse. Ideally, you will never actually have to stand trial. DUI lawyers resolve most cases without going to court. The earlier you get a lawyer, the more time they will have to try to negotiate a favorable conclusion for you before the trial. They may even be able to get the DUI charge dropped.
The Power of a DUI Attorney
Having a DUI attorney on your side gives you power. DUI attorneys navigate the legal system in a way that untrained citizens rarely can. They may have years or even decades of experience with every kind of DUI case, and often their reputation alone opens doors that wouldn’t be available to you alone.
Some of the specific advantages of a DUI lawyer include:
- They can dispute the breath test. Breath, blood and urine tests are far from reliable. Your attorney can look for errors in yours and potentially get it suppressed as evidence.
- They can challenge officer testimony. Police reports are often full of inconsistencies. Your lawyer can draw these out and show the mistakes or assumptions the officers made.
- They know how to fight a violation of your rights. Any irregularity in how you were arrested or questioned could mean your rights were violated. Your lawyer can pursue this and potentially get evidence dropped.
There is no substitute for having a good DUI lawyer on your side.
Speak to a Paramount DUI Lawyer for Free
You deserve the best possible defense. We can help you get it. We will match you with a top Paramount area DUI lawyer who has the right background for your specific case. Every lawyer we work with offers a consultation that is 100% free. This is your chance to learn whether a lawyer can help your case.
Don’t let the prosecutor bully you. Get the legal help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.