Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Getting a DUI in Huntington Park, CA is not a small matter. Penalties for DUI have become exceptionally harsh across California, and Huntington Park is no exception. Even the minimum sentences now include a suspended driver’s license, mandatory DUI education classes, and likely jail time—plus fines and fees that can quickly soar into the thousands of dollars. If you’ve been arrested for DUI, you need to defend yourself.
The best way to defend against a DUI charge is to speak to an experienced Huntington Park DUI lawyer. DUI lawyers are more than just capable attorneys—they devote their lives to understanding which tactics work in drunk driving cases, and which ones don’t. Your lawyer may be able to get the charge reduced or dropped. Or, they may be able to keep the penalties you face to an absolute minimum. They may even be able to win your case for you.
The Penalties for DUI in Huntington Park
The hardest part of a DUI for most drivers is the excessive list of fines and fees you have to pay. DUI’s have become big business. When even a first time DUI can end up costing you over $15,000, it’s no surprise that local government sees DUI enforcement as a source of revenue. Huntington Park now holds month-long DUI crackdowns with multiple DUI “checkpoints” to maximize arrests. Do not expect mercy from the courts.
Besides fines, the penalties you face are complex. They are set forth in the California Vehicle Code and the exact penalties depend on whether it’s your first, second or third+ DUI. Examples of penalties for a first time DUI include:
- Jail time. You can go to jail for even a first time DUI. The sentence can range from just 48 hours to six whole months. Ultimately, the judge will decide how much jail time you get.
- A suspended driver’s license. You cannot keep your driver’s license after a DUI. It will be suspended for a minimum of four months and possibly much longer.
- Mandatory DUI school. All DUI convicts must now attend “DUI traffic school,” a classroom about the dangers of drunk driving. This class lasts three months for a typical first time offender, and costs you hundreds of dollars.
- Fines. You will pay an absolute minimum of about $1,800. This includes the $390 fine plus special fees that all DUI convicts have to pay. This is the minimum—it can be far more.
These penalties assume a “normal” DUI where no one was hurt, and nothing was damaged. If you are underage, caused an accident, refused the breath test, or had children in the car with you, the penalties will be far worse.
Second and third DUI’s also face tougher sentences, including a year in jail, 30 months of DUI school, mandatory alcohol treatment, and years without your license. The fines can go into the tens of thousands of dollars.
What Happens When You Get a DUI in Huntington Park
DUI’s begin many ways. You may be arrested by the local police, the Sheriff, or the State Troopers out of the Central LA office. In most cases you will spend a night in Huntington Park City Jail. No matter how your case begins, once the initial processing is over, you face several legal deadlines—and you need to be prepared for each one of them.
The major deadlines in a DUI case are:
- 10 Days – the DMV Hearing. If you want to keep your driver’s license after your arrest, you have just 10 days to take action. You must request a hearing with the DMV before those 10 days are up or it will be suspended. The easiest way to do this is to ask a DUI lawyer to file the hearing request for you. They can represent you at the hearing and help you fight for your license.
- About 14 Days – the Arraignment. An arraignment is a short court hearing where you tell the judge how you plead. It’s over quickly. However, it’s also the first time you will face the prosecutor in court. They are already evaluating whether you will be easy to convict or not. You should already have a good DUI lawyer on your side before this hearing. Having a reputable DUI lawyer at the arraignment sends a strong message to the prosecution and can bring them to the bargaining table.
- About 45 Days – the Trial. If you go to trial it will most likely be at the Downey Courthouse. But the goal of your DUI lawyer is to resolve your case in your favor without ever going to trial. They will put pressure on the prosecution to offer you a way out—perhaps by reducing the charge to something less serious. In some cases they may be able to get the charges dismissed altogether.
Do You Need a Lawyer for a DUI Charge?
You do not have to hire a lawyer to fight a DUI charge in California. It is completely up to you. The advantage a DUI lawyer brings to your case is that they understand the system. That means they can make the system work for you instead of against you. For example, they know that prosecutors are overworked, and they know what motions to file to make sure that your case is as strong as possible—meaning the prosecution may just throw in the towel. They give you leverage.
Benefits of a DUI lawyer include:
- They know how to challenge the chemical test (blood, breath or urine). The test results may be excluded from the case.
- They know how to challenge the statements of arresting officers. Police make mistakes, misremember things, and often act on bias or false assumptions.
- They know how to negotiate. Prosecutors have the ability to reduce or drop charges at any time. Your DUI lawyer will bring them to the table and work to get you a deal.
There is no better step you can take than to talk to a reputable DUI lawyer.
Speak to a Huntington Park DUI Lawyer Today
We believe you should have the best defense possible. We can put you in touch with a top Huntington Park area DUI attorney. We take basic details about your case and match you to a lawyer who has the right experience to help you. And they will offer you a case consultation that is 100% FREE. This is your chance to make an informed decision about your case, with no pressure.
Don’t let the prosecutor decide your future. Get the legal help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.