Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI charge in Pomona is not pleasant. The consequences can be severe—you face potential jail time, considerable fines and a suspended license. A DUI charge can haunt you for years, but it doesn’t have to. There are ways to dramatically improve your chances and potentially change the outcome of your case.
The best way to do that is to have an experienced Pomona DUI lawyer at your side. A lawyer can help protect you from the most severe penalties, decreasing the likelihood of you serving jail time or losing your license. They can also save you thousands of dollars in fines and might even get the charges against you dropped entirely.
How Bad is a DUI in Pomona?
270 DUI arrests a year in the area, and the courts have become increasingly stern. The heavy fines imposed in DUI cases generate revenue for local government, so this kind of case is prosecuted aggressively. A DUI can quickly become a major expense and a headache.
The California Vehicle Code has several penalties for those convicted of DUI. They include:
- Up to six months in jail, with a minimum of 48 hours for a first offense. Repeat DUI’s can bring a year in jail or even time in state prison.
- A combination of fees and fines that will total at least $1,800. The actual fine for a first offense is $390, but court fees bring the total much higher. This is for a first offense—repeat offenders can owe over $10,000 in fines and fees.
- License suspension. This will be for a minimum of several months, but can exceed a year.
The severity of the penalties imposed will depend on any previous DUI convictions you have, and the circumstances of your case. You will also be required to take a DUI education program which will cost between $500 and $1,800.
What Happens after the Arrest?
You may have been arrested by the local police, the LA County Sheriff’s Office or the California State Highway Patrol. After your arrest you’ll probably spend an uncomfortable night at the Pomona Police Jail. The police will release you the next day, but the law isn’t done with you. Deadlines are already looming for several phases of the legal process, and you have to take action in each one:
- DMV Hearing. Your license will be immediately confiscated on your arrest and you’ll be given a temporary replacement. This is valid for 30 days, after which your license is automatically suspended. The only way to stop this is to challenge it with the DMV—but the clock is ticking. You have just 10 days from the date of your arrest to request a DMV hearing.
- The Arraignment. This is a preliminary court hearing that takes place a few weeks after the arrest. This is your opportunity to enter your plea and get a concrete date for your trial. A good DUI lawyer can prove invaluable at this stage. They’ll use the arraignment to feel out the prosecution and advise you on what your plea should be. They will often advise you to plead not guilty so they can engineer a better outcome later on.
- The Waiting Game. There can be a gap of several months between the arraignment and the trial. A lawyer can out this time to good use. They’ll examine the case against you in detail, building the strongest defense possible. Your lawyer will also put pressure on the prosecution, working to make their case more difficult to win, with the goal of getting the DUI charge dropped or downgraded.
- The Trial. Your trial will likely be heard at the Pomona Courthouse. You’ll be tried by a jury of your peers. Before the trial, your lawyer can challenge the selection of any jurors that might be biased against you. During the trial itself, your lawyer will look for a way to give the jury “reasonable doubt,” discrediting the evidence against you. Many DUI cases end in acquittal, and the defendant walks away free.
How to Beat a DUI
You might be filled with doubt and anxiety when you think about your upcoming trial. But your case is not unwinnable. The evidence the prosecution has against you can be challenged, and there are many ways an experienced lawyer can build a strong defense:
- Challenge the arrest. The police may have not followed procedure when they arrested you, which violates your constitutional rights. If your lawyer can show this, the case against you may well collapse.
- Question the evidence. Legal insiders know the evidence used in court isn’t infallible. Labs and police officers make mistakes, and breath test machines are prone to errors. DUI lawyers look for any chance to challenge the validity of blood, breath or urine test evidence and can sometimes get it thrown out.
- Sleuth work. Careful sifting of the evidence is a normal day’s work for a DUI lawyer. If there are any inconsistencies in the testimonies of witnesses or officers they’ll find them. These can then be used to pick apart the prosecution’s case.
- Negotiating. Your case may not even go to court. If your lawyer can make the prosecution’s job difficult enough, they may offer you a favorable deal—or drop the case altogether.
These tactics can make a significant difference to your future. Many DUIs end in acquittal each year, and yours could be one of them. It’s also possible that the charges against you will be downgraded to something less severe.
What to Look for in a Lawyer
Not all lawyers are created equal. Many will say they offer DUI defense, but that doesn’t mean they are experienced in doing so. Here’s what to look for to make sure you get a lawyer who will truly make a difference:
- A dedicated DUI firm. Some attorneys will take any kind of case, but others focus exclusively on DUI law. These are the attorneys who will have the most experience and expertise.
- Proof of past success. They should be able to show you that they have won past cases just like yours.
- Credentials. Board certifications or special DUI training are a strong indicator that you’re dealing with a knowledgeable DUI attorney. It shows that they continuously hone their knowledge to provide the best defense possible.
- A FREE consultation. You should be able to meet with a lawyer with no obligation. They should show understanding, professionalism and empathy.
Don’t Go to Court Without Protection
We believe every driver accused of DUI should have the best possible defense. Our site exists to match you with top Pomona DUI lawyers—for free. All we need are a few basic details and we can get to work finding the right lawyer for your case right away. Every lawyer we work with offers a free, no obligation consultation.
Don’t let your DUI ruin your life. Take action to defend yourself before it’s too late. Simply fill out the form to your right or call us at (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.