Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Diamond Bar is not a good place to face a DUI charge. The courts are strict and penalties for DUI are tougher than ever. Sentences can include jail time, a suspended driver’s license, court-ordered DUI school and fines that take years to pay off. Don’t take your DUI charge lying down—you need to defend yourself.
The best way to fight your DUI is by talking to a Diamond Bar DUI attorney. DUI attorneys are more than just legal counsel. They have the experience to know which defenses will work and which ones won’t. They can often resolve a DUI before you ever go to trial. They may be able to get your charge reduced or even win your case for you.
The Cost of a DUI in Diamond Bar
DUI is no longer a minor traffic offense. It’s a serious misdemeanor and it carries some of the heaviest fines on the books. These fines have consistently gone up across California, and local governments now see DUI as a source of money. The City of Diamond Bar is no exception. County Sheriff’s Deputies in the area routinely conduct DUI checkpoints to maximize arrests. Those caught in these sweeps could pay up to $15,000 even for a first offense.
But fines are not the only penalty. California has a complex system of DUI penalties set down in the California Vehicle Code. These penalties are divided into first offense, second offense, and third (or subsequent) offense DUI’s. None of them are lenient. Basic penalties for a first time DUI include:
- A suspended license. Without exception, every DUI now carries mandatory license suspension. For a first offense you could have your license suspended for as little as four months, or much longer at the judge’s discretion.
- Jail time. Even first time DUI’s often carry jail time. The minimum is 48 hours in the county jail. It can be as much as six months.
- DUI school. You will be ordered to take a special three-month class known as DUI school. You will pay the cost of this out of pocket—as much as $800.
- Fines. With a DUI you pay not only the criminal fine itself, but also special fees charged by the court. The minimum total for a first time DUI will be about $1,800.It can be many thousands more.
If it’s a second or third DUI, the penalties are far worse. Jail time can be up to a year. License suspension and DUI school can go for several years. And the fines and fees are often over $10,000.
Beating a DUI in Diamond Bar
To beat a DUI you need to know the legal deadlines you face and take smart, fast action to meet each one. Every DUI case follows a similar trajectory, regardless of how it started. You may have been arrested by the County Sheriff out of the Walnut/Diamond Bar station or the Highway Patrol out of Baldwin Park. You may or may not have been put in jail overnight. But no matter how your case started, it will move quickly and you need to know how to prepare for each step.
The major deadlines of a DUI case include:
- The DMV Hearing. This is a short hearing with the DMV that determines whether you can keep your license until trial. The only way to get this hearing is to file a request within 10 days of your arrest. If you miss the deadline you lose your license. You should ask a DUI lawyer to file the request and represent you at the hearing.
- The Arraignment. This is your first court hearing. It is not a trial. You will enter your plea and the judge will set a date for trial. However, this is also your first chance to put pressure on the prosecutor. They are looking to see if you will be easy pickings. If you show up with a professional DUI lawyer whose reputation they respect, they will start to worry about whether they can convict you.
- The Trial. If you go to trial it will be at the Pomona Courthouse. But your lawyer’s goal is to resolve your case without ever going to trial. They will work to get the charges against you reduced or dropped if at all possible.
Does a DUI Lawyer Really Make a Difference?
It would not be an understatement to say that talking to a DUI lawyer is the single most important thing you can do for your case. A DUI defendant without a lawyer is unable to navigate the legal system and doesn’t know how to drive a hard bargain with the prosecutor. Even if you are appointed a public defender, they have little time to spend on your case and they do not specialize in DUI law. A real DUI lawyer makes a big difference.
Some of the advantages a DUI lawyer gives you include:
- Challenging the breath test. Most DUI cases hinge on a breath, blood or urine test that “proves” you were under the influence. These tests have numerous errors. A DUI lawyer knows how to challenge them and potentially get the results thrown out.
- Challenging the arrest itself. Many DUI defendants believe their rights were violated during their arrest, but few know how to make a legal case out of it. Your lawyer can protect your rights and potentially get incriminating evidence suppressed.
- Bringing the prosecutor to the table. It’s possible to win a DUI case in court, but it’s much more common to get you a successful outcome behind closed doors—at the bargaining table. Your lawyer knows how to negotiate to get you a way out.
Speak to a Diamond Bar DUI Attorney for Free
You deserve a strong defense. We can help you get it. By providing us with just a few basic details, we can match you to a Diamond Bar area DUI lawyer with the experience you need. We don’t charge for this, and we only match you with lawyers who offer a 100% free evaluation of your case.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Get the legal help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your free case evaluation today.