Facing a DUI charge in Long Beach, CA, is hard. Even the penalties for first-time DUI offenders are incredibly steep – much worse than the mere fine they used to be. And if you have past DUIs on your record, the judge can give you prison time plus tens of thousands of dollars in fines and fees.
No matter what, if you are convicted, you will lose your license. That is why we believe that every DUI defendant should have an excellent Los Angeles DUI defense lawyer at their side. A good Long Beach DUI lawyer knows the process, knows the tricks the prosecution will use, and knows how to construct a defense that will get you a deal – or even a Not Guilty verdict.
They can potentially keep you out of jail, keep your driving privileges, and save you a lot of money.
What Does a DUI Cost You?
DUI penalties have gotten harsher nationwide, and Long Beach is no exception. The city government is tough on drunk drivers, partly because it is a popular position for politicians to take. It is important to note that a high number of DUI convictions also brings in a lot of money for the city of Long Beach.
The numbers reflect this: Long Beach made over 1,600 DUI arrests in 2012. DUIs are prosecuted locally, but the penalties are determined by state law. The state categorizes DUI penalties based on the number of previous offenses.
So the sentence for a first-time DUI is strict, but the second DUI punishments are even harsher. For your third DUI, you can be facing fines and prison time that is through the roof. They can actually try a fourth or fifth DUI as a felony, not a misdemeanor.
Penalties for DUI
- Hefty fines: For a first-time DUI, the official minimum fine is $390, but the actual amount after court fees and other costs is more like $1,800. This is a minimum, so costs go up from there – and for a third or fourth DUI, it can be tens of thousands of dollars.
- County jail or state prison: All DUI convictions come with jail time. The minimum for most convictions is just a few days, but even a first-time DUI convict can get six months of jail – and a second offense can get one year.
- Alcohol treatment: For a first-time offender, three months of alcohol treatment are required at a cost of $500. Repeat offenders can end up with two and a half years of treatment, costing thousands of dollars.
- No more driving: A DUI conviction always means a suspended license. At best, this is for a few months, but it can easily be for years.
In addition to these penalties, you will face probation after your jail or prison time and may be ordered to put an interlock device on your car at your own expense. California will require you to pay to install the device, maintain it, and have it calibrated regularly throughout your probation.
How the DUI Booking Process Works
As soon as you are arrested, the time starts counting down toward several deadlines that are crucial to your Long Beach DUI case. It is important to understand the DUI legal process and how these deadlines affect you. You may have been arrested for DUI by the local police, the county sheriff, or the local branch of the California State Police.
You will most likely have been processed and booked overnight at the Long Beach jail facility. Once booked, you will typically spend no more than 24 hours in jail. The police will then release you either on bail or on your own “recognizance,” meaning your sworn promise to return for trial.
If you cannot make bail on your own, your DUI lawyer in Long Beach can help you.
The 3 Deadlines You Need to Meet
Once this initial booking is over, the deadlines are already looming. There are three deadlines you will face in the days and weeks following your arrest. It is critical that you are prepared for each one. These crucial events are:
- The arraignment: This is when you appear before a judge and officially enter your plea. The best thing you can do to prepare for this is to hire a DUI lawyer before the arraignment.
- The DMV hearing: From the time of your arrest, you have only ten days to file for a hearing with the DMV. If you do not request your hearing on time, you will lose your license automatically, even though you have not been proven guilty.
- The trial: At your arraignment, you will be given a trial date, and the trial will most likely be held at Long Beach’s Governor George Deukmejian Courthouse. This is the big event that your lawyer should prepare you for immediately after your arrest.
A good DUI lawyer is familiar with all the local judges and which way they lean. They also know how to drive a hard bargain with prosecutors. That means you may never have to go to court at all, and if you do, you will have the best chance possible.
Dealing with Officers
You could be completely sober and do something that catches the attention of an officer to make them think you are drunk. Suppose you are taking a prescription medication that affects your perception and, therefore, your reaction time. Perhaps you are going through an emotionally distressing personal event and are distracted while driving.
How do you convince the officer you are not actually intoxicated or protect your rights if you are arrested? First, if they ask for any documentation, you must provide that by law. It is also in your best interest to be polite and follow their instructions.
However, you also have the right to remain silent, even if you have not been arrested yet. Tell them you decline to answer any questions without a lawyer present, but otherwise follow their orders.
Stay respectful, but be firm about this even if they become angry. If you are arrested, comply but continue to invoke your right to counsel and to remain silent. They cannot hold you for long without evidence, and you may even become eligible for compensation, depending on what happens.
What Happens if My License Is Suspended?
If your license is suspended for DUI, then you must not drive. If you are caught, then you will be charged with another crime, and the court will look unfavorably on your DUI case. It is even worse if you are driving while on DUI probation with a suspended license.
In that case, you could get sent back to jail with a probation violation. If you are in jail, you cannot maintain your job or your home and could lose them both. It will also be hard to communicate with your lawyer.
If your license gets suspended, do not get behind the wheel until your lawyer can help you reinstate your license.
Navigating DUI Charges in Long Beach with the Aid of Skilled Law Firms
When facing DUI charges in Long Beach, Southern California, the role of a defense attorney becomes crucial. These charges, often stemming from exceeding the legal limit of blood alcohol concentration, can lead to severe penalties, including months in jail, a criminal record, and license suspension.
However, with the right legal representation, a strong defense strategy can be developed to mitigate these consequences.
Understanding DUI Charges and Penalties
DUI, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, is a serious offense. The blood alcohol content (BAC) is a key factor in these cases. If your blood alcohol level exceeds the legal limit, you could face criminal charges ranging from a misdemeanor offense for first-time offenders to more severe charges like vehicular manslaughter in extreme cases.
The penalties for a DUI conviction in Long Beach can be harsh. They often include days in jail, hefty fines, mandatory community service, and a long-term suspension of your driving privileges. These consequences not only disrupt your daily life but can also have a lasting impact on your future.
The Role of a Defense Lawyer
A defense attorney plays a vital role in navigating the complexities of DUI cases. They understand the nuances of DUI offenses and can develop effective defense strategies tailored to your specific situation. Whether it’s challenging the accuracy of a blood alcohol test or negotiating lesser charges, a skilled lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Potential Defenses in DUI Cases
Several potential defenses can be employed in DUI cases. For instance, if you have a medical condition that might affect your blood alcohol level or mimic the influence of alcohol, this could be a key component of your defense.
Additionally, if there were any procedural errors during your arrest or the handling of your blood alcohol concentration tests, these could be grounds for challenging the evidence against you.
Developing a Strong Defense Strategy
Developing a strong defense strategy is essential in DUI cases. This involves a thorough analysis of all the evidence, understanding the influence of alcohol or drugs on the alleged offense, and exploring all avenues for a potential defense.
Law firms with experience in DUI defense have the experience and resources to build a robust defense, aiming to reduce the charges or penalties you face.
The Importance of Legal Representation During This Difficult Time
Facing DUI charges is undoubtedly a difficult time. The prospect of months in jail, a tarnished record, and the loss of driving privileges can be overwhelming. However, with the support of a knowledgeable defense attorney, you can navigate this challenging period more effectively.
Their guidance and representation can be invaluable in protecting your rights and securing the best possible outcome in your case.
If you are facing DUI charges in Long Beach, it is crucial to seek the assistance of a reputable law firm. With the right defense lawyer by your side, you can develop a strong defense strategy that addresses the specifics of your case, potentially mitigating the severe penalties associated with these offenses.
Do You Need a DUI Attorney in Long Beach?
You may wonder if you really need an attorney at all. You may think you will be given a lawyer for free by the state if you do not hire an attorney. You may or may not qualify to receive one, depending on your income.
Public defenders are good lawyers. However, they also have heavy caseloads – much heavier than any private attorney would accept. That means they can give very little time to your case. You may barely see them before your trial. Most times, they will advise you to plead guilty.
What to Expect When You Hire a Long Beach DUI Attorney
When you hire a DUI attorney, on the other hand, you have their full attention. They will fight tooth and nail for your case—aiming to get the charges dropped, win the case, or get the best bargain possible. You will be surprised at the results a Long Beach DUI lawyer can get, even in the toughest cases.
The tactics at their disposal include:
- Refuting “scientific” evidence: Your case is not doomed just because you took a blood, breath, or urine test. A DUI lawyer knows what to look for to request that this evidence be excluded from the trial.
- Debunking the officer’s testimony: Police officers usually have good intentions but often make snap judgments. If the arresting officer makes statements that contradict an earlier report or that go against video evidence, they have been caught making a mistake.
- Procedural questions: If the police did not follow the correct procedures to arrest and process you, your rights may have been violated, and the entire case could be thrown out.
- Negotiation: Sometimes, all your lawyer has to do is convince the prosecutor it is not worth their time to proceed. Then, you will be offered a lower charge, a light sentence, or even to drop the charges altogether.
Finding the Best DUI Attorney in Long Beach
We want to match you with a DUI lawyer who is right for you. But you do not have to take our recommendation. If you decide to look for a lawyer on your own, we just want to make sure you find a good one – because you deserve to have the best representation possible.
Here is what to look for:
- Exclusive DUI focus: Not every attorney who says they are a DUI lawyer really is. If their practice does not focus exclusively on DUI cases, keep looking.
- Proof of experience: An experienced DUI lawyer will have the proof to back it up. This can include a track record of past victories, special training in DUI law, and board-certified DUI expertise.
- Free initial consultation: Some lawyers want to charge you just for the pleasure of making their acquaintance. This is not standard practice among reputable DUI attorneys, and your initial consultation should be completely free.
Let a Long Beach DUI Attorney Help You Today
Our site exists to help people like you find the best lawyer for their case. We ask you for basic information about your case and then put you in touch with a pre-screened lawyer who has the experience, knowledge, and track record to help you.
Do not wait until you are standing before the judge to think about your defense. Get a top Long Beach DUI attorney fighting for you, and see for yourself the difference it makes. Submit our convenient online form or call us to get your free consultation today.