Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
If you’ve been arrested for DUI in Beverly Hills you must defend yourself. DUI is treated harshly and can affect your insurance rates, your reputation and even your future employment. This is in addition to jail time and fines that can total thousands of dollars. It is imperative to fight your DUI every step of the way.
The best way to do that is by hiring a Beverly Hills DUI attorney. DUI lawyers know the legal process ahead of you, and they know how to work to weaken the evidence against you at each stage. They have experience taking cases like yours and achieving a reduced charge, a reduced sentence, or a courtroom victory.
The True Cost of a Beverly Hills DUI
The official minimum fine for a first time DUI in California is less than $400. But that’s before the fine is padded with fees and assessments taking it into the thousands. And the costs only go up from there.
The City of Beverly Hills is following a nationwide trend in toughening its prosecution of DUI. There are nearly 200 DUI arrests a year in Beverly Hills alone. These cases are prosecuted aggressively because each one represents revenue for local government. DUI is one of the most expensive misdemeanors you can face.
The penalties for DUI are set by the California Vehicle Code. This code states that penalties get worse for each additional DUI within a 10 year period. But even the first time penalties are not lenient.
The minimum penalties for a first time DUI include:
- At least $1,800 in fines and court fees—easily more.
- Minimum two days in jail for most first time DUI offenders, and up to six months.
- Mandatory suspension of your driver’s license.
- Mandatory DUI “traffic school”—that you pay for.
- Probation and the risk of further penalties long after you’ve served your sentence.
These are minimums. The full cost of a first time DUI in southern California can total over $15,000. And second or third DUI convictions result in even stiffer penalties.
What Happens after Your DUI Arrest in Beverly Hills
You may have been arrested by the Beverly Hills Police Department, the LA County Sheriff’s Department, or California State Troopers operating out of the West Los Angeles Office. In most cases you will be booked and processed at the local police station, and spend a night in jail. At this point the legal process is only beginning.
Your case will go through several stages which include:
- The DMV hearing. This is an important step that many DUI defendants miss. Your driver’s license will be taken away from you upon arrest and automatically suspended in 30 days if you take no action. But you have only 10 days to fight for it. That is the window during which you can request a hearing to object to the suspension. This hearing is with a representative from the DMV—it is not a criminal hearing. However, your DUI lawyer can represent you at this hearing. If you miss the ten-day deadline there is no way to keep your driving privileges until the trial.
- Your arraignment. An arraignment is a hearing before a judge where you hear the charges against you and officially enter your plea. It is normally only a week or two after the arrest. You will already be under pressure to plead guilty at this time, but this is seldom in your best interest. It’s important that speak to a DUI defense lawyer before your arraignment.
- Trial preparation. Typically in California it takes up to 45 days before you actually have a trial. This waiting period can feel tense and uncomfortable. However, this is your DUI lawyer’s time to shine. It is during this period that they will look for evidence that the blood or breath test was flawed, and find weaknesses in the evidence against you. If you have a good lawyer, the best plea bargains are usually offered during this time.
- The trial. Your trial will be held at the Beverly Hills Courthouse and typically last 3-5 days. Many Beverly Hills DUI cases never even go to trial. You are likely to face a choice between accepting a plea bargain with a light sentence or reduced charge, or going to court to fight for an acquittal. Your lawyer can help you determine which is the smarter choice in your case and can represent you at court.
How a Beverly Hills DUI Lawyer Makes a Difference
Don’t undervalue the impact that an experienced DUI attorney can have on your case. They understand the legal process and all the strategies that can lead to a good outcome in a DUI case—and they can see which ones are most likely to work in your unique case.
Some of the tactics they can use include:
- Disputing the accuracy of the breath or blood test, if there was any irregularity in how it was carried out.
- Finding flaws in arrest procedure or violations of your rights. This can lead to suppressing evidence against you.
- Finding errors in police statements, which calls their testimony into question.
- Exploring alternative explanations for a breath test result, such as the use of mouthwash or breath spray that contains alcohol.
Do Not Face a Judge without a DUI Attorney
The 45 days until your trial date may seem like a long time now, but they’re passing fast—and legal deadlines are passing with them. Every week that you go without representation is a week that a lawyer could have been fighting for your acquittal, for your driver’s license, and for your freedom.
Our site exists to make it easy and affordable for you to speak to a DUI lawyer. We have a network of experienced Beverly Hills DUI attorneys, and we will match you with one who has past experience with cases like yours—for free. This attorney will offer you a 100% free consultation and discuss your case with you, so you can see your odds and what the best way to handle it is.
Don’t wait until you’re being sentenced. Get the legal help you need now, when you need it most. Simply fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 to get your FREE consultation today.