Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Despite a wild reputation, West Hollywood does not go easy on crime. If you were arrested for DUI in West Hollywood you face a serious criminal charge and a complicated legal process. If convicted you may be sentenced to jail time, and you will lose your driver’s license. You’ll also be ordered into a DUI education program and will owe thousands of dollars in fines and fees. You need to fight the charge.
The best defense is to have a good West Hollywood DUI attorney on your side. DUI attorneys spend years learning every strategy that can work in a drunk driving case—and when to use each one. They routinely take on even the toughest DUI cases with good results. They may be able to keep you out of jail, save you big money, and potentially even get the charges dropped.
The Cost of West Hollywood DUI
Driving under the influence has become one of the most expensive misdemeanors on the books. Even a first time DUI conviction can end up costing you up to $15,649. To West Hollywood, these excessive penalties are a source of income. The area makes no secret of being tough on alleged drunk drivers. Law enforcement holds DUI checkpoints that can screen over 1,600 drivers in a single night.
But fines are only some of the many penalties associated with DUI. The full set includes:
- Jail. Even a first time DUI offender may face jail time, ranging from two days to 180 days.
- “DUI School.” This is a mandatory class that all DUI offenders have to take. The shortest version lasts three months and costs hundreds of dollars.
- License suspension. Your license will be suspended for up to a year for a first offense.
- Fines and court assessments. The base fine for a first DUI offense is $390 but it rises to around $1,800 with the other mandatory fees. This is a minimum—it can go higher.
- DUI probation lasts three to five years after your sentence is served.
California state law requires even tougher penalties for repeat offenders. This can include a year in jail, prison time, three years with no driving, and substantially higher fines and fees—often over $10,000. In some cases, a DUI can even be charged as a felony.
What Happens After a West Hollywood DUI Arrest?
West Hollywood is policed by the County Sheriff and State Troopers out of the Central Los Angeles office. Typically you will spend a night in jail at the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station. But the arrest is only the beginning. As soon as you are booked, a legal process is set in motion and you have to be ready to take action.
The DUI process is marked by three very important deadlines. Each one comes quickly and all three have potentially lifelong consequences. You should not face them without professional legal counsel.
These deadlines are:
- The DMV Hearing. As soon as you’re arrested for DUI, the California DMV starts a procedure to suspend your license. This is known as Admin Per Se suspension. You have only 10 days to fight this suspension, starting from the date of your arrest. If you don’t request a hearing in this ten day period, you cannot fight the suspension. You should ask a DUI lawyer to handle the hearing for you.
- The Arraignment. An arraignment is a short court hearing held anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after the arrest. You’re officially there for just one reason: to plead Guilty or Not Guilty. But something else very important happens at the arraignment. This is when the prosecutor sizes you up to see if you will be easy to convict. They’re looking to see if you have a lawyer and whether that lawyer has a good reputation for DUI defense. If you come with good legal representation, the prosecutor may suddenly have a much better deal for you.
- The Trial. West Hollywood’s DUI cases are heard at the Hollywood Courthouse. However, you may never have to go to trial. Your DUI lawyer will try to resolve the case for you before your trial date ever comes.
How Does a Lawyer Beat a DUI Charge?
Drunk driving law is extremely complex. But the strategies a lawyer uses to beat a DUI charge are actually simple. The goal is to look at all of the prosecution’s evidence and go piece by piece, discrediting each item. This can include blood or breath tests, police officer testimony, or statements you made during questioning. Lawyers can object to any of this evidence and may even be able to get it excluded from the case.
As the evidence against you gets weaker, your position grows stronger. Your lawyer will try to win the case in one of three ways:
- Getting it dropped. Prosecutors will sometimes drop the charges altogether. It’s not common but it happens when their key evidence is thrown out.
- Getting it dismissed. More often, if the evidence is whittled down your lawyer can ask the judge to dismiss the whole case. If this happens you are free to go.
- Getting it reduced. The prosecution is often willing to bargain and may even reduce your DUI charge to something less serious like reckless driving.
The power of negotiation is substantial and a good attorney may be able to keep you out of jail and avoid massive fines.
You Can Speak to a West Hollywood DUI Attorney for Free
We believe every driver deserves the best defense possible. We have identified the best DUI lawyers in the West Hollywood area, and we can match your case to a lawyer who’s right for you. Every attorney we work with focuses exclusively on DUI and offers you a FREE consultation. This consultation can help you decide on the next steps in your legal defense—with no obligation.
Don’t become the next victim of California’s DUI laws. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.