Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Rosemead is tough on DUI’s. Penalties for drunk driving have increased across California, and Rosemead area courts are not known for being lenient. Sentences include jail time, DUI treatment, losing your driver’s license, and truly staggering fees. If you were arrested for drunk driving in Rosemead, you need to defend yourself.
The best way to do that is by talking to a Rosemead DUI lawyer. DUI lawyers routinely turn around even the toughest cases for their clients. They have the knowledge and experience to navigate the legal system, and they can frequently bring back a promising offer. They may even be able to win your case outright.
The Rising Price Tag of a DUI in Rosemead
Politicians have found that they can get easy votes by being tough on crime, and the fines for DUI have soared. Presently, the total price tag for a first time DUI in southern California can be over $15,000. This money is seen as revenue by the courts and local government. It’s no wonder that Rosemead throws the book at DUI offenders.
Money is not the only cost of a DUI. It can affect your life and your career. California law divides DUI penalties by first offense, second offense, and third offense (or more). First offenders get the lightest penalties, but by no means walk away undamaged.
Here’s an overview of the penalties for a first offense:
- License suspension. When you’re convicted of a DUI in California, your license will be suspended. The length of the suspension varies but is typically at least several months.
- Jail time. You could go to jail for even a first DUI, for anywhere from just two days to an entire six months.
- DUI school/alcohol treatment. You will be ordered into a three month DUI education course that costs you hundreds of dollars, and you may also be ordered into alcohol treatment.
- Fines. DUI comes with a criminal fine of at least $390, plus mandatory “court assessments.” Altogether they add up to at least $1,800 for a first offense. It can be far more.
Repeat offenders face far stricter consequences. These include up to a year in jail, and potentially tens of thousands of dollars in fines and fees. License suspension and DUI school can last years, and cost thousands more.
What to Expect in Your Rosemead DUI Case
Rosemead has its own Chief of Police but is enforced primarily by the LA County Sheriff’s Office. The highways are also patrolled by the California State Police out of their East Los Angeles office. No matter who arrested you, you will usually spend a night in jail (typically at the Sheriff’s nearby Temple Station facility). As soon as you are arrested, you should already be thinking about the legal path in front of you.
The legal process for a DUI charge has several important deadlines. These deadlines approach fast, and you have to take action for each one of them. Making a mistake at any point could harm your case and affect your future.
The three main deadlines are:
- 10 Days—DMV Hearing. You are in danger of losing your driver’s license before you’ve even gone to trial. This is called administrative suspension. The DMV suspends your driver’s license automatically unless you request a hearing. You have only 10 days to request this hearing after your arrest. There is no second chance. Your DUI lawyer can request your hearing for you and represent you before the DMV. They will fight so you can keep your license.
- About 14 Days—Arraignment. Your arraignment is your first appearance in court. It’s a short hearing where you enter your plea. It’s also the first chance you get to see the prosecutor in court. They are looking to see if you’ll be easy to convict. They do not want to see a DUI lawyer at your side. If you’ve already hired a good DUI lawyer, they know it will be a tough case and they may offer you a better deal right away.
- 30-45 Days—Trial. Rosemead’s DUI cases are usually heard at the El Monte Courthouse. However, you may not have to go to trial at all. Your lawyer will work to get the case resolved in your favor before the trial date. The sooner you get a lawyer, the more they can do to help you.
Is It Worth It to Hire a DUI Attorney?
Hiring a DUI lawyer may be the single most important decision you make in your case. The best attorneys are those who focus exclusively on DUI cases. They will have the experience to know which defense to use in your case. There are literally dozens of different ways to approach a DUI charge, and some approaches work best in some kinds of cases, or with certain prosecutors and judges. The most experienced DUI lawyers can turn entire cases around.
Some of the ways a lawyer will help you include:
- Challenging the chemical test. Most DUI cases involve a breath test, blood test or urine test. Your lawyer can challenge this evidence and potentially get it tossed out.
- Find holes in the officers’ testimony. Police make mistakes. Your lawyer knows how to comb their statements for inconsistencies and call their word into question.
- Objecting to violations of your rights. If police didn’t follow protocol while arresting you, the evidence they gathered may not be admissible.
There simply is no substitute for having a good DUI lawyer.
Talk to a Rosemead DUI Lawyer for FREE
Every DUI defendant deserves a good defense. We’ll help you get one. We have screened the most qualified DUI lawyers in the Rosemead area, and we can match you with one whose background fits your case—at no cost. Every lawyer we work with offers a 100% FREE consultation for your case.
Don’t let a DUI charge ruin your future. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.