If you have been arrested for DUI in Alhambra, you face a lot more than a ticket. The penalties can include jail time, a suspended driver’s license, mandatory DUI treatment, and thousands of dollars in fines. It could haunt you for years if you do not fight against the charge now.
The best way to fight your DUI charge is by having a good Alhambra DUI lawyer on your side. DUI lawyers defend tough cases every day—and they know which tactics to use to maximize your chances. They may be able to reduce the sentence you receive, get the DUI charge knocked down to something less serious, or even win your case altogether.
A good lawyer can save you thousands of dollars. DUI charges are serious and should never be ignored. Let a DUI lawyer in Alhambra, CA, examine the case against you and fight for your rights every step of the way.
What Happens When You Get a DUI in Alhambra?
DUI penalties are set at the state level by the California Vehicle Code. But the law leaves a lot of discretion to local judges. They routinely use DUI checkpoints to ensure they get as many arrests as possible.
Your fines and penalties depend on whether you have previous DUIs. The sentences are different for the first time, the second time, and third or subsequent offenders. In the past ten years, all DUI convictions and related convictions count toward this number.
As a baseline, let us look at the penalties for a first-time DUI with no complicating factors:
- Big fines. You will pay a bare minimum of about $1,800, including the minimum fine and the mandatory court penalties, and the numbers only go up from there. First-time DUI sentences are supposed to be light, but the total can be over $15,600.
- Incarceration. Many DUI sentences include jail time, ranging from 48 hours to 6 months for a first offense.
- Suspended driver’s license. All DUI sentences include loss of driving privileges. This will last at least several months and can be much longer.
- DUI school. The judge will order you into DUI treatment at your own expense. You cannot get your license back until this is complete.
- Other penalties. You may be ordered to install an interlock device in your vehicle and remain on probation for some time after your sentence is over.
Sentences for repeat convictions are much more severe. You could be in jail for up to one year or even sent off to state prison for up to 16 months. Fines and fees routinely run in the tens of thousands of dollar range.
And both your DUI treatment and license suspension could last for years. A DUI lawyer in Alhambra, CA, can explain the law in clear terms so you understand what you are facing should you be convicted. A lawyer will also be able to build a strong defense to the charges so you are not convicted of the crime if you truly did not commit it.
Beating a DUI in Alhambra
DUI cases are very complex, even by legal standards. There are many different ways they can play out. But they all follow the same basic structure, defined by several key events. Each of these events has a firm deadline, and once it is passed, it is too late to go back.
You need to know what to do at each key event so that you make your case as strong as possible:
The DMV Hearing
Do NOT miss this deadline! Ask your DUI lawyer to represent you at the hearing. They will supply the right evidence to show the DMV that you can drive safely until your court trial.
You will be given a date for an arraignment within a few weeks of your arrest. This is a court hearing where you enter your plea. It is not a trial.
However, this is the first time you formally contact the prosecutor in court. They will be sizing you up to see if you can be pushed into taking a bad plea bargain. What they do not want to see is a reputable DUI lawyer at your side.
This makes their job much harder. Your main objective should be to retain the services of a skilled DUI attorney before the arraignment and have them speak for you at the hearing.
If your case proceeds to trial, it will occur at the Alhambra Courthouse. But your lawyer’s goal is to resolve your case in your favor before the trial ever happens. They will pressure the prosecutor to offer a serious deal you feel comfortable taking.
This could include very light penalties or even a lesser charge. In some cases, it means you walk away free.
What an Attorney Brings to Your DUI Case
To an experienced attorney, there is no such thing as an unwinnable case. They routinely take on cases where the breath test showed a blood alcohol level way over the legal limit or the client confessed to drinking. Even these cases can be turned around in the right circumstances.
The benefits of a DUI lawyer can include the following:
- No more blood or breath tests. These tests are not as scientific as they look. If there is any irregularity in the testing, the results may be thrown out.
- Questioning the officer. Police officers make mistakes. Lawyers can spot holes or inconsistencies in their reports and tear them apart in court.
- Protecting your rights. If the police did not follow protocol while arresting you, your statements—including a confession—may not be admissible.
- Old-fashioned negotiation. Prosecutors do not have the time to fight over every DUI case, and they do not want to go to court any more than you do. Your lawyer knows how to pressure a prosecutor to make it more likely that they offer you an exit.
It is not unusual for DUI lawyers to return a not guilty verdict for their clients. In many other cases, they bring back extremely generous deals. A DUI attorney in Alhambra, CA, is here to examine your case thoroughly so you can focus more on your personal life. You will not have to worry about learning the law to represent yourself at any of the court hearings when you work with an experienced criminal defense attorney.
Call our office today to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.
Speak to an Alhambra DUI Attorney for Free
We will match you with a pre-screened DUI lawyer who offers a FREE case consultation. At this consultation, you will learn everything you need to know to decide how you want to handle your case.
Do not go to the courtroom alone. Fill out the form to the right or call our office and get your FREE consultation today. The longer you wait to talk to an Alhambra DUI attorney, the higher the risk of losing your driver’s license.
You have just 10 days following an arrest for DUI to save your license. Do not delay. Make the call now.