Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
If you’ve been arrested for DUI in Alhambra, you face a lot more than just a ticket. Alhambra is tough on DUI and the penalties can include jail time, a suspended driver’s license, mandatory DUI treatment and thousands of dollars in fines. If you don’t fight against the charge now, it could haunt you for years.
The best way to fight your DUI charge is by having a good Alhambra DUI lawyer on your side. DUI lawyers defend tough cases every day—and they know which tactics to use to maximize your chances. They may be able to reduce the sentence you receive, get the DUI charge knocked down to something less serious, or even win your case altogether. A good lawyer can save you thousands of dollars.
What Happens When You Get a DUI in Alhambra?
DUI penalties are set at the state level, by the California Vehicle Code. But the law leaves a lot of discretion to local judges. The routinely uses DUI checkpoints to make sure they get as many arrests as possible. They will not go easy on you.
The exact fines and penalties you face depend on whether you have previous DUI’s. The sentences are different for first time, second time and third or subsequent offenders. All DUI convictions and related convictions in the past 10 years count toward this number.
As a baseline, let’s look at the penalties for a first time DUI with no complicating factors:
- Big fines. The simple fact is that no DUI is cheap. You will pay a bare minimum of about $1,800 which includes both the minimum fine and the mandatory court penalties. The numbers only go up from there. First time DUI sentences are supposed to be light but the grand total can be over $15,600.
- Incarceration. Many DUI sentences include jail time, ranging from 48 hours to 6 months for a first offense.
- Suspended driver’s license. All DUI sentences include loss of driving privileges. This will last at least several months and can be much, much longer.
- DUI school. The judge will order you into DUI treatment at your own expense. You cannot get your license back until this is complete.
- Other penalties. You may be ordered to install an interlock device in your vehicle, and you will remain on probation for some time after your sentence is over.
Sentences for repeat convictions are much more severe. You could be in jail up to one year or even sent off to state prison for up to 16 months. Fines and fees routinely run in the tens of thousands of dollar range. And both your DUI treatment and license suspension could last for years.
Beating a DUI in Alhambra
Winning your case starts at the very beginning. You may have been arrested by the Alhambra Police, the Sheriff’s office out of the nearby Temple Station, or the local branch of the State Highway Patrol. Most likely you had to spend a night in the Alhambra Jail. But as soon as you’re released, you need to think about your future.
DUI cases are very complex, even by legal standards. There are many different ways they can play out. But they all follow the same basic structure, which is defines by several key events. Each of these events has a firm deadline and once it’s past, it’s too late to go back.
You need to know what to do at each key event so that you make your case as strong as possible:
- The DMV hearing. From the moment you’re arrested, you have only 10 days to request a hearing with the state DMV—or you lose your license. The DMV suspends the licenses of anyone arrested for drunk driving, before the trial even happens. Do NOT miss this deadline! Ask your DUI lawyer to represent you at the hearing. They will supply the right evidence to show the DMV that you can drive safely until your court trial.
- The arraignment. You will be given a date for an arraignment within a few weeks of your arrest. This is a court hearing where you enter your plea. It is not a trial. However, this is the first time you get to make formal contact with the prosecutor in court. They will be sizing you up to see if you can be pushed into taking a bad plea bargain. What they don’t want to see is a reputable DUI lawyer at your side. This makes their job much harder. Your main objective should be to retain the services of a skilled DUI attorney before the arraignment, and have them speak for you at the hearing.
- The trial. If your case proceeds to trial, it will take place at the Alhambra Courthouse. But your lawyer’s goal is to resolve your case in your favor before the trial ever happens. They will pressure the prosecutor to offer a serious deal, one that you feel comfortable taking. This could include very light penalties, or even a lesser charge. In some cases it means you walk away free.
What an Attorney Brings to Your DUI Case
To an experienced attorney there is no such thing as an unwinnable case. They routinely take on cases where the breath test showed a blood alcohol level way over the legal limit, or even where the client confessed to drinking. Even these cases can be turned around in the right circumstances.
Benefits of a DUI lawyer can include:
- No more blood or breath test. These tests are not as scientific as they look. If there is any irregularity in the testing, the results may be thrown out.
- Questioning the officer. Police officers make mistakes. Lawyers can spots holes or inconsistencies in their reports and tear them apart in court.
- Protecting your rights. If police did not follow protocol while arresting you, your own statements—including a confession—may not be admissible.
- Old fashioned negotiation. Prosecutors don’t have the time to fight over every DUI case. They don’t want to go to court any more than you do. Your lawyer knows how to put pressure on a prosecutor to make it more likely that they offer you an exit.
It is not unusual for DUI lawyers to return a Not Guilty verdict for their clients. In many other cases they bring back extremely generous deals.
Speak to an Alhambra DUI Attorney for Free
To win your DUI case you need the best legal representation available. We want to help you get it—and we charge nothing. Our site exists to help DUI defendants like you find the best Alhambra area lawyers. We will match you with a pre-screened DUI lawyer who offers a FREE case consultation. At this consultation you will learn everything you need to know to decide how you want to handle your case.
Don’t go to the courtroom alone. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.