Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI charge in Azusa is not easy. You can be sentenced to fines in the thousands of dollars, license suspension, compulsory traffic safety courses, and potential jail time. If you’ve been arrested for DUI, you need to defend yourself.
Fortunately, you don’t have to fight it alone our DUI lawyer in Los Angeles are ready to fight for you. An Azusa DUI lawyer can guide you through the complicated legal system and negotiate with the prosecutor to get you options, potentially even winning your cause without ever going to trial.
Costs of a DUI in Azusa
DUI’s are no slap on the wrist. Fines are on the rise statewide, representing a source of income for the City of Azusa. Routine DUI checkpoints conducted by the Sheriff’s office may catch dozens of drivers at once, and each driver could pay thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket.
It doesn’t end there. California state law mandates steep penalties even if it’s your first DUI. The consequences for a first-time offense include:
- Time in jail. You potentially face a minimum of two days in jail, and up to six months. Sentencing depends on level of intoxication, injuries and/or damage involved, and the judge’s discretion, among other things.
- License suspension. There’s no keeping your license after a DUI. It will be suspended for several months at the least, and up to one year.
- Treatment and Education. Everyone convicted of DUI in California is required to go through DUI school—which you must pay for yourself. This means at least three months of traffic safety lessons at a cost of $500 or more.
- Fees and fines. As if the fines were not enough, you also end up paying various administrative fees. At a minimum you may sneak by paying just $1,800 in fees and fines, but it could be much more. The total cost for a first-time DUI in southern California can be nearly $16,000.
If you’ve had prior DUI’s within the last 10 years, consequences get worse. Jail sentences lengthen, or can even become up to 16 months in state prison. Fines skyrocket into the tens of thousands—the price of a whole new car. Meanwhile, you may be without a license for years, and may even be tried as a felon. You need to defend yourself, and you need to move quickly.
Deadlines in Your Azusa DUI Case
Whether you were arrested by local police, the county sheriff out of their San Dimas station, or state troopers out of the Baldwin Park office, each DUI case proceeds according to a similar timeline. You will typically be held at the Azusa police station, after which you must meet the following deadlines:
- DMV Hearing. The only way to keep your license during the period before the trial is to request a hearing within 10 days. Otherwise, your license is automatically suspended by the California DMV (known as “administrative suspension”). A DUI lawyer can help you file this request properly by the deadline and potentially avoid suspension. Your lawyer can also represent you at the hearing. A good DUI lawyer knows what the DMV wants to hear gives you an advantage in the fight to keep your license.
- Arraignment. This is your first court date. It’s not a trial, just a short hearing in front of a judge. It’s also the moment where you plead Guilty or Not Guilty—and it’s your first opportunity to confront the prosecution in court. They will be sizing you up to determine if you’re likely to be an easy conviction or not. A reputable DUI lawyer can cause them to think twice about trial, considering an out-of-court offer instead—which is often a better deal than whatever you were offered earlier. Arraignments are typically 14 days or less from your arrest, and you should have your lawyer on the job before this date.
- Trial Date. Finally, you will be scheduled for trial, probably at the West Covina Courthouse. However, most cases never actually see trial, especially if you have a lawyer working to get your case resolved. But your lawyer needs time to gather evidence, research the case and put pressure on the prosecution. Trials can be as little as 30 days after the arrest, and the sooner you hire a lawyer, the better.
An Azusa DUI Lawyer Dramatically Improves Your Odds
If there’s one thing you can do to improve the outcome of your case, it’s hiring a reputable DUI lawyer. They have inside knowledge of the techniques that win DUI cases. For instance:
- Breath test validity. A lawyer can challenge the validity of breathalyzer, blood and urine tests, potentially getting the results thrown out.
- Challenging the Arrest. Arrests often involve mistakes, biases, or assumptions. A lawyer can draw these out and turn the tide in your favor.
- Rights Violations. Your rights may have been violated and you may not even realize it. If so, lawyers can object to evidence that was collected illegally and substantially help your case.
- Negotiation with the Prosecution. Offers, such as out-of-court deals, may reduce the severity of consequences —but only if you bargain effectively with the prosecution. A DUI lawyer knows how to do this and gives you the competitive edge.
In short, having a lawyer sends a message: you’re willing to fight. The prosecution doesn’t want to waste time and resources fighting every DUI case. If you make their job difficult, they will be far more likely to offer a favorable deal. Your DUI lawyer may be able to get your charge reduced to reckless driving or even dropped entirely.
Speak to an Azusa Lawyer Today for Free
If you’ve been charged with a DUI in Azusa, you have no time to lose. Deadlines are already coming, and a good defense takes time to prepare. We can connect you with an Azusa area DUI lawyer with a strong reputation—and we’ll do it for FREE.
We exist to help you get the best help available. We work only with top DUI attorneys, and every attorney we work with will give you a complete case evaluation at NO charge.
Don’t miss your opportunity to turn your case around. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 and get your FREE consultation today.