Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI charge in Woodland Hills isn’t easy. Enforcement of DUI laws is strict, and the penalties include jail time, a suspended driver’s license, and thousands of dollars in fines—even for a first time offender. If you don’t fight your DUI, the consequences could follow you for life.
That’s why you need to discuss your case with a Woodland Hills DUI lawyer. DUI lawyers understand the legal system and the strategies that work for cases like yours. They may be able to help you keep your license, avoid jail time, or even win your case outright. In many cases, they will save you thousands.
The Penalties for DUI in Woodland Hills
8,000 DUI arrests per year.
Penalties for a DUI depend on whether it’s your first offense. California law sets forth a three-strike system, where the penalties are steeper for second, third and subsequent offenses. But even a first time DUI does not carry a light sentence. Penalties include:
- Jail time. Most first time DUI convictions result in at least 48 hours of jail time, and up to 6 months.
- License suspension. If convicted of DUI your license will be suspended. This will last at least four months, and you will have restrictions on your driving for nearly a year
- Fines and fees. The DUI fine on the books isn’t as big as you might expect—$390. But the court adds a variety of “assessments” or fees on top of that. Total, the bare minimum is over $1,800. It can be thousands higher.
- DUI school. You’ll be ordered to attend an education program lasting at least 3 months and costing at least $500.
Repeat DUI’s face even steeper sentences. Jail can be up to a year or, in some cases, 16 months in state prison. License suspension and DUI treatment can last for years. And the fines can climb into the tens of thousands of dollars.
The Woodland Hills DUI Process Explained
Woodland Hills is policed primarily by the LAPD operating out of two nearby stations in Reseda and Canoga Park. There is also a presence by both the Los Angeles Sheriff and the California State Troopers operating out of their West Valley Station. In most cases, when arrested you will be booked and held overnight in the local police station.
Immediately on your arrest, a number of legal hearings and deadlines are racing toward you. Each of these has a direct bearing on your future. They are:
- Your DMV hearing. The California DMV will suspend your license following your DUI arrest even if you have not been proved guilty. You can stop this process if you win at a hearing with the DMV—but you have only 10 days to request your hearing. This 10-day window starts the moment you’re arrested. Your DUI lawyer can represent you at the hearing.
- The arraignment. At your arraignment you will appear in court and enter your plea. This is a pre-trial phase, but it’s an important one. The prosecution will already be considering whether to offer you a plea deal, and having a reputable DUI lawyer at your side puts pressure on them from the start.
- Your trial. Most likely your case will not proceed to trial. Your lawyer will spend the time before the trial assembling your defense and working to get key evidence against you thrown out. They will try to secure you a deal before the trial even begins. If you do proceed to trial at Van Nuys Courthouse East and your lawyer will fight to have you proven Not Guilty.
A DUI Attorney Gives You the Advantage
Criminal defense lawyers have an old saying: there’s no such thing as a case that can’t be won. Many DUI defendants feel that the evidence against them is too clear-cut, and that there’s no way they can win. This is not true.
The laws around DUI are complex, and lawyers who focus on DUI cases know how to fight the evidence. They’ve been trained on the dozens of strategies that can take even the grimmest DUI case and turn it around.
Signs of a DUI lawyer worth trusting include:
- They focus exclusively on DUI law and related cases
- They have taken special training or certification on DUI law specifically
- They can point to past cases, similar to yours, that they were able to win
- They have years of experience both in the courtroom and out
Lawyers like this can overturn the results of breath tests. They can get blood and urine analysis excluded from the evidence. They can challenge officer testimony, or infringements of your rights during the arrest process. Most importantly, they bring back results. They don’t take the first deal the prosecution offers—they fight for you, and they may even be able to get the charge reduced to something less than DUI, or get you acquitted. There is no question that a DUI defendant with an experienced lawyer has an advantage over one without.
Contact a Woodland Hills DUI Lawyer today for a FREE consultation.
If you’ve been arrested for DUI, you don’t have a day to lose. You have only 10 days to fight for your driver’s license, and usually less than 45 days to prepare for trial. This is the time that an attorney uses to make sure you have the best chance possible.
We want to help. Our site exists to connect people like you with the best DUI lawyers in the Woodland Hills area. The attorneys we work with are experienced and focused on DUI cases—and they will sit down with you and discuss your case for FREE.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your free case discussion today.