Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
An Agoura Hills drunk driving charge is a serious matter. DUI is a criminal offense, and penalties have gotten steeper in recent years. Even a first time DUI now carries potential jail time, as well as a suspended driver’s license, mandatory traffic safety classes, three or more years on probation, and massive fines. It can follow you for the rest of your life.
That’s why you need to fight the charge. A good Agoura Hills DUI lawyer can help your fight your DUI charge, guiding you through the court system and using their legal expertise to defend you. While no lawyer can guarantee a victory, DUI lawyers routinely take on the toughest cases and bring back positive results. Your lawyer may be able to get the case against you dropped, reduce the charge to something less serious, or even win your case outright.
The Consequences of an Agoura Hills DUI
DUIs carry a variety of penalties, but perhaps the most serious is the sheer financial cost. Over the years, DUI fines have steadily gone up, making it one of the most expensive misdemeanors you can be charged with. A simple DUI for a driver with no previous criminal record can now cost up to $15,600.
The city of Agoura Hills takes full advantage of this. They see DUI convictions as a source of much needed revenue, and they’ve cracked down to keep that money coming in. The area holds DUI checkpoint on a monthly basis and does not go easy on the drivers they catch.
Fines aren’t the only penalties you face. The complete consequences of a first time DUI include:
- Court assessments. In addition to fines, the court charges fees of its own. Even if you are given the minimum fine of $390, your total bill after a conviction will be at least $1,800.
- Jail time. Every DUI carries at least two days of potential jail time, and can carry up to six months.
- Lose Your License. Your will lose your license for at least several months, and potentially up to a year.
- DUI School. All DUI offenders are required to attend special DUI driving safety classes. For a first time conviction the classes typically last three months and cost hundreds of dollars.
These are just first time penalties. Under California state law, the penalties for repeat offenders are much steeper. They may include:
- Jail time up to one year, or a prison sentence up to 16 months
- Fines and fees that easily range into the tens of thousands of dollars
- License suspension lasting a year or more
- DUI school that lasts up to 30 months
What to Expect After a DUI Arrest in Agoura Hills
DUI arrests begin many ways. Agoura Hills is policed both by the LA County Sheriff and by Highway Patrol squads from the West Valley division. In most cases you will be booked and processed at the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station. But no matter who brought you in, once you’ve been arrested you face a legal process that moves fast and does not forgive mistakes.
That process has deadlines, and you need to be ready to meet each one. The three main deadlines of your DUI case are:
- The arraignment. Your arraignment may happen within a few days of arrest or may be several weeks out. You should consider this your hard deadline to get a DUI lawyer. At the arraignment, you will be asked to enter your plea—and the prosecutor will almost certainly offer you a “deal” that isn’t much better than being found guilty. Having a good DUI lawyer with you sends a strong message. It tells the prosecutor you will not go down easily, and that they will have to work to convict you. That alone may convince them to offer you a better “deal.”
- The DMV hearing. After your arrest you have only 10 days to fight for your driver’s license. If you do not request a DMV hearing within the 10 days, you will have your license put on administrative suspension. Ask your lawyer to help you request the hearing.
- The trial. Your trial date will be set within 45 days at the Van Nuys Courthouse. Trial can be intimidating, but with a good lawyer, you may not go to trial at all. Your attorney will work to resolve your case before the court date ever happens—and get you an outcome you can live with.
How Do You Beat a DUI?
Beating a DUI is possible, but it isn’t easy. You will be better prepared to fight your DUI charge if you have a good attorney on your side. You should seek out an attorney who works exclusively on DUI law, and who has years of experience in the field. Respected DUI attorneys develop a reputation for a reason.
When an attorney approaches a DUI case, they look at it methodically. They go through the evidence against you piece by piece and see which pieces are weakest. Then they work to get that evidence disqualified in the courtroom. Often, even some of the seemingly “strongest” evidence can be thrown out.
For example, your lawyer may:
- Challenge a blood or breath test if testing procedures were not followed,
- Rip apart officer testimony if the officer is inconsistent in their statements,
- Challenge the arrest itself if your rights appear to have been violated, or
- Move to disqualify your own statements if you weren’t apprised of your rights during questioning.
Doing these things requires an understanding of legal process and procedure. But when done properly, they could turn your entire case around. The prosecutor may even drop the DUI charge entirely.
Talk to an Agoura Hills DUI Lawyer for Free
No one should face a DUI charge alone. We can connect you with the best DUI lawyers in the Agoura Hills area. We only work with lawyers who specialize in DUI and offer a FREE consultation.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 and get your FREE consultation today.