Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
A DUI in Sierra Madre is a serious offense. It could disrupt your life for years. You face license suspension, DUI school, jail time, probation, and thousands of dollars in fines and fees.
You need to defend yourself. A strong Sierra Madre DUI lawyer will fight for you. They may get your penalties reduced, your charge downgraded to Reckless Driving, or win your case altogether.
Consequences of a Sierra Madre DUI
A DUI conviction costs a lot of money. Every DUI brings in revenue for the City of Sierra Madre, so they have every incentive to throw the book at you. Law enforcement agencies coordinate DUI checkpoints across the area, and fines for those caught are crippling. If convicted, the court will add administrative fees on top of the fines, costing you at least $1,800 and potentially much more. In some cases, you may spend as much as $15,649 for a first-time DUI.
But the consequences aren’t just financial. First-time penalties include:
- Jail time. You may have already spent a night at the Sierra Madre Police Station or the Sheriff’s Temple Station following your arrest. But if convicted you could be incarcerated much longer. You could be sentenced to anywhere from two days to six months in jail.
- License suspension. You will lose your license for at least six months, and perhaps as long as one year.
- DUI school. You must attend traffic safety courses lasting at least three months, at a cost of $500 or more.
- Probation is a part of all DUI penalties, and lasts anywhere from three to five years. You may even have to install an interlock device in your vehicle.
A DUI conviction can impact your job as well. Most job applications ask you if you have any criminal history. You will have to mark “yes” to this question and provide details. Employers have the right not to hire someone because of a DUI.
All the above penalties are for first time offenders. Repeat offenders have it worse. If you have a prior DUI on your record within the last ten years, California state law mandates an even harsher sentence:
- Longer jail time. You may spend up to one year in jail or even sixteen months in a state prison. If anyone was hurt, the prison sentence could be years longer.
- Longer license suspension. You may go without a license for two or three straight years. You may even lose your license permanently.
- Education and treatment. Your DUI school courses may last as long as 30 months, at a cost of nearly $2,000. You may also have to undergo drug or alcohol treatment.
- Stronger charges. A repeat DUI may become a felony. This never disappears. It goes on your criminal record and affects your rights for the rest of your life.
- Fines and fees in can easily reach tens of thousands of dollars.
3 Crucial Deadlines in a Sierra Madre DUI Case
Whether you were arrested by the Sierra Madre Police Department, the LA County Sheriff, or a state trooper from the Altadena division, the arrest is only the beginning of a DUI case. You must now work your way through the legal process, and every decision you make can affect your future.
While the legal process is complicated, it is not slow. There are three fast moving deadlines you must meet in your DUI Case:
- 10 days from arrest: DMV hearing. Many drivers don’t realize their license will be suspended before they even go to trial. This “administrative suspension” is done automatically by the DMV. You can avoid it, but only if you file a hearing request within 10 days of your arrest. Ask your lawyer to file the request for you. They can represent you at the hearing and show the DMV what they need to see to let you keep your license until trial.
- 14 days from arrest: Arraignment. This is a brief hearing before a judge where you plead Guilty, Not Guilty, or No Contest. You should see this day as an opportunity—it’s your first chance to confront the prosecution. Their resources are thin, and they don’t want to waste time and money on tough cases, so show them that you will be hard to convict. Showing up with a reputable DUI lawyer at the arraignment sends a clear signal and often gets you a better deal right away.
- 30-45 days from arrest: Trial. Your trial will be held at the Pasadena Courthouse. But many DUI cases are resolved before trial. Your lawyer will attack the evidence against you and then press the prosecution for a deal.
How to Beat a DUI Charge
A good lawyer can make all the difference. Your lawyer knows which tactics are successful in DUI cases, and they’ll know which ones are best for your specific case. Some of the tactics they could use include:
- Challenging breath and blood tests. Breath tests and blood tests are part of almost every DUI arrest, but they’re often inaccurate. Your lawyer will challenge them and could get them thrown out of court.
- Pointing out flaws in arrest procedure. You may not even realize if that your rights were violated during your arrest. But your lawyer will. They will spot errors in procedure and use them to get evidence against you blocked.
- Finding errors in reports. Police and witness testimonies are often inconsistent. Your lawyer will cross-check them to find ammunition for your cause.
- Negotiating with the prosecution. Your lawyer will methodically weaken the evidence against you, then bargain to get you a way out. This could lighten your penalties, get your charge reduced to Reckless Driving, or even get your whole case dropped.
No DUI case is hopeless. Countless drivers see their DUI thrown out and walk away cleared of all charges. Talking to a lawyer may be the single best call you make.
Talk to a Sierra Madre DUI Lawyer for Free
We’re here to help you win your case. Let us connect you with a top DUI attorney in the Sierra Madre area. Your attorney will sit down and give you a complete consultation, for FREE.
Fight your case while you still can. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 to get your FREE consultation today.