Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI in Montebello is not easy. Penalties for DUI’s have gone up in recent years and include jail time, mandatory license suspension, and massive fines. You cannot rely on the mercy of the courts or prosecutor if you are facing a DUI charge—you must defend yourself.
The strongest way to defend yourself is with the help of an experienced Montebello DUI lawyer. DUI lawyers help defendants like you through the system every day. They understand what constitutes a good defense in a DUI case, and how to push the prosecutor to give you a good deal. They may even be able to win your case.
What to Expect When You Get a DUI in Montebello
DUI is taken seriously in over $95,000 a year from DUI checkpoints.
But the penalties aren’t just fines. The California Vehicle Code sets penalties according to for first time, second time, and third (or more) DUI. Even first time penalties are strict. They include:
- Jail time. All DUI convictions in California now carry possible jail time. For a first DUI, the minimum is two days. The most for a first DUI is six months.
- Suspended license. You will lose your license if convicted of DUI. The minimum suspension for a first offense is about four months—but it can be far longer.
- DUI School. One of the longest and hardest parts of many DUI convictions is mandatory DUI school. This includes a minimum 3-month course which costs hundreds of dollars to attend. It is not optional.
- Fines. The official fines for DUI are combined with “assessments” (fees) you must pay the court. Together, the bill is at least $1,800 for a first offense. That is a bare minimum—it can cost thousands.
Second, third and subsequent DUI’s face much harsher sentences. Jail time can last up to a year, or you can be sentenced to state prison. Los Angeles has 18-month and 30-month versions of DUI school and you will be required to take one. License suspension can also last year, and the fines can go into five figures.
Deadlines You Must Not Miss in Your Montebello DUI Case
DUI’s may start many different ways. You may be arrested by the Montebello Police, the LA County Sheriff, or state troopers out of the East Los Angeles office. You will usually, but not always, be booked at the City of Montebello Jail Facility. No matter how your case begins, however, all DUI cases follow the same trajectory. You will face several crucial legal deadlines, each of which helps determine your future. You cannot go to any of them unprepared.
The three major deadlines in your DUI case are:
- Your DMV hearing. After a DUI arrest, you have only 10 days to request a hearing with the DMV. If you don’t, they will automatically suspend your license until your trial. Many DUI defendants do not know this until it’s too late. A DUI lawyer can formally request the hearing for you, and can represent you to the DMV. They will fight to help you keep your license.
- Your arraignment. Your arraignment is a court hearing where you plead either Guilty or Not Guilty. It lasts less than 20 minutes, but it’s an important occasion—your first time in court during your case. This is when the prosecution sizes you up to see if they can get an easy win out of you. The best thing you can do at this point is already have a DUI lawyer on your side. They will send a message to the prosecution that you are not easy pickings, and you could be given an offer almost right away.
- Your trial. Montebello’s DUI trials are usually held at the East Los Angeles Courthouse. If you have a good attorney, you may never have to stand trial at all—your attorney may be able to find you a way out before the trial date ever comes. This could include getting the charges against you reduced, getting you a good deal, or even getting the case dropped so you walk away free.
Remember, you have only 30-45 days before your trial in most DUI cases. You need to hire a lawyer and act fast.
Do You Need a Lawyer for a Montebello DUI?
No one is required to get a DUI lawyer in the state of California. It’s completely at your own choice. The advantages a lawyer brings include familiarity with the legal system, a reputation among prosecutors and judges, and the skills needed to win a case. Every DUI lawyer is trained to know which tactics work in a courtroom, and which ones don’t. That means they are more likely to win cases.
Benefits of a DUI lawyer include:
- Your lawyer knows how to challenge the results of a breath test, blood test or urine test. These results can sometimes be thrown out.
- Your lawyer can spit holes in the arresting officer’s testimony, and knows how to expose them.
- Your lawyer can talk to the prosecution on their own terms and show them why they should cut you a better deal.
There simply is no substitute for the expertise that a good lawyer brings to your case.
Speak to a Montebello DUI Lawyer Today
You do not have to face your DUI case alone. Our site exists to help match you with a lawyer who has the right experience for your case. We work only with the most reputable, qualified DUI lawyers in the Montebello area—and every lawyer we work with offers a 100% free consultation.
Don’t leave your future up to chance. Take control of your case before it’s too late. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.