Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI charge in Carson, CA is serious. Local courts do not let drunk drivers off with a slap on the wrist. The penalties for DUI include jail, losing your driver’s license, forced DUI treatment, and thousands of dollars in fines. If you’ve been charged with DUI, you need to fight it.
It’s much easier to do that with a good Carson DUI lawyer on your side. DUI lawyers know the system and they know what methods work to beat a DUI. While no lawyer can guarantee a win, an experienced DUI lawyer routinely brings back successful outcomes for their clients. They can end up saving you a substantial amount of money.
How Much Does a DUI Cost in Carson?
Carson has cracked down on drunk driving. That’s largely because DUI is one of the most expensive misdemeanors there is. Every time someone is convicted of drunk driving, the City of Carson and local courts make money. This money comes directly from you, the defendant. It should be no surprise then that Carson holds frequent DUI checkpoints.
So what penalties do you face if you’re convicted? The penalties are set by state law and they depend on your previous convictions. You will face different sentences for a first, second, or third+ DUI in a ten year period. None of the sentences are light.
A first time DUI conviction will include the following penalties:
- Fines and fees that total at least $1,800 and can add up to much more.
- Usually jail time, anywhere from two days to six months.
- Having your license suspended for several months or much longer.
- Mandatory attendance at “DUI school” for at least three months, at a cost of $500.
If the judge is not feeling generous, the penalties can soar much higher. Even a first time DUI conviction can end up costing you over $15,000 total. If you’ve had previous DUIs, the penalties swell to include up to a year in jail, more than a year in prison, years of license suspension, and a court-ordered treatment program that drags on for 30 months. In some cases it can even be tried as a felony.
What Happens After a DUI Arrest in Carson?
Different DUI cases start differently depending on who arrested you and the circumstances of the arrest. Carson is policed primarily by the Los Angeles County Sheriff but many DUI’s are handled by the California Highway Patrol out of the South Los Angeles office. Either way you will most likely be booked at the Carson Sheriff Station. You may need to pay bail to be released.
But this is only the beginning. The legal process before you is complicated, and it moves quickly. You face legal deadlines that will affect you for the rest of your life. It’s important to make smart, informed choices at before each one of these deadlines.
The deadlines in the legal process include:
- DMV hearing – 10 days from arrest. Did you know that if you don’t request a DMV hearing within 10 days of your arrest, you will lose your license? The arresting officers are supposed to tell you this, but they don’t always make it clear. You automatically lose your license just for being arrested for DUI, without even having your day in court. This is called Administrative Suspension. The only way to stop it is to have a hearing with the state DMV, and you must request it within 10 days. The best way to handle this hearing is to ask a DUI attorney to represent you. They know what the DMV is looking for.
- Arraignment – within 14 days of arrest. Soon after your arrest you will need to attend a hearing before a judge known as the arraignment. This is a short hearing where you enter your plea (Guilty or Not Guilty). It’s also your first chance to make an impression on the prosecutor. Prosecutors have a lot of cases and they usually prey on easy targets. They will size you up in terms of whether you have a lawyer and whether that lawyer has a strong reputation as a DUI attorney. If they think it will be hard to prosecute your case, they are more likely to offer you a bargain.
- Trial – within 45 days of arrest. Carson’s DUI cases are often heard in the Compton Courthouse. However, many cases don’t go to trial. Instead, your attorney will work to resolve your case in your favor before the trial even happens. They may be able to get the charges reduced, secure a light sentence, or even get the charges dropped altogether. If you do go to court, they will fight to have you found Not Guilty.
Does a Carson DUI Attorney Really Make a Difference?
Having an experienced DUI lawyer behind you is the best thing you can do for your case. Judges around Carson see countless DUI defendants come and go, most of them making the same mistakes—begging for mercy from the court or simply going into a case with no real legal knowledge of what they’re facing. Prosecutors and defense lawyers alike know that only certain, time tested DUI defenses are likely to work, and that you have to choose exactly the right one based on your case. This is what your lawyer will do for you.
Examples of what a DUI lawyer does include:
- Challenging the breath test or blood test. Without this evidence, the case against you falls apart.
- Challenging the testimony of the arresting officers. Lawyers often spot inconsistencies that other people would miss.
- Challenging the arrest. Was it legal to pull you over? Were you treated properly? Were you read your rights?
- Driving a hard bargain. A DUI lawyer can talk to the prosecutor on their own terms and show them why it makes sense not to pursue your case.
The ultimate goal of your DUI lawyer is to get your case dropped or have you acquitted of all charges. Even when that’s not possible, they may be able to improve your outcome. They could save you thousands of dollars or even help keep you out of jail.
Speak to a Carson DUI Attorney for Free
Everyone accused of DUI deserves a good defense. Our website exists to help you get one. We take drivers like you and match you with experienced Carson DUI attorneys. Every attorney in our network offers a completely FREE case consultation. This is where you’ll find out what they can do for your case and what to expect. There is no better step you can take.
Don’t let a DUI arrest take over your life. Get the legal help you need. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your FREE consultation today.