Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
A DUI charge in Rancho Palos Verdes is not easy to face. Sentences include thousands of dollars in fines, license suspension, court ordered DUI classes, and even time in jail. If you’re facing a DUI charge, you need to defend yourself.
The strongest defense you can have is a good Rancho Palos Verdes DUI lawyer. Your lawyer doesn’t just know the law, they also serve as your guide during a difficult time. They understand which tactics are most likely to win your case and they will fight tirelessly on your behalf. Your lawyer may be able to get the charges dropped, keep you out of jail, or save you a substantial amount of money.
Cost of a DUI in Rancho Palos Verdes
A DUI is a serious charge with serious consequences. Fines generate income for the City of Rancho Palos Verdes, which makes the city eager to prosecute you. The city has held numerous DUI checkpoints to maximize arrests. Each driver they bring in faces fines reaching into the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars.
- Time in jail may range from two days to six months. All DUI sentences can now include jail time.
- Loss of License. Your license will be suspended for a period ranging from several months to a full year.
- DUI School. If convicted, you must attend DUI school, which you pay for yourself. The shortest DUI school lasts three months and costs at least $500.
- Fees and Fines. Fines are not the only cost of a DUI. The court will also add administrative fees. Total, the lowest you’ll end up paying for a first time DUI is about $1,800, and it can soar to nearly $16,000.
- You will be placed on probation for at least three years, and may be required to install an interlock device in your vehicle or even go to addiction treatment.
These are the penalties for first time DUI’s. California State Law mandates tougher sentences for repeat offenders. If you have prior DUI’s within the last ten years you will serve a longer jail sentence—perhaps even up to 16 months in a state prison. Fines easily go into the tens of thousands of dollars, and the license suspension period will be two years, three years or more.
Deadlines for DUI Cases in Rancho Palos Verdes
All DUI’s follow a single process, whether you were arrested by the LA County Sheriff out of Lomita Station or the California Highway Patrol out of the South Los Angeles office. As soon as you’re in custody a legal process is set in motion, which includes three fast-approaching deadlines. The deadlines you need to be aware of are:
- The DMV Hearing. You must request a hearing within 10 days of arrest if you want to keep your driver’s license until trial. If you do not, the DMV automatically suspends your license (“administrative suspension”). A DUI lawyer can file the request for you, and can represent you at the hearing. They know what evidence to present to maximize your chance of keeping your license.
- An arraignment is a hearing before a judge where you plead Guilty or Not Guilty. The prosecution will be present, and is looking for signs that you’ll be easy prey. They don’t want to spend weeks fighting for a DUI conviction. If you have a well known DUI lawyer representing you, they worry that you will be tough to convict. They may offer you a deal instead of bringing the case all the way to trial.
- Court Trial. DUI cases from Rancho Palos Verdes DUI go to trial in Torrance Courthouse. However, most cases never reach this point. Your DUI lawyer will work to resolve your case early and without a courtroom trial. To do this successfully your lawyer will need time to research your case, challenge the evidence against you, and put pressure on the prosecution. The earlier you speak to a lawyer, the better.
How a Rancho Palos Verdes DUI Lawyer Helps Your Case
The best thing you can do to improve your case is get a DUI lawyer. A good DUI lawyer only takes on drunk driving cases and similar cases such as drug DUIs and reckless driving. They devote years of their life to learning the specific tactics that work, both in and out of the courtroom, in a DUI case. They should be able to tell you about past clients, with cases very similar to yours, who they were able to help successfully.
When you find a dedicated DUI lawyer like this, they can make a real difference in your case. Some of the tactics they use include:
- Challenging the Breathalyzer Test. Breath tests and other chemical tests can contain mistakes. Your lawyer will check the data and challenge any test that may be skewed. The test results may be thrown out of the case completely, undermining the prosecution.
- Challenging the Arrest. Police make mistakes during traffic stops and arrests. They may be too eager to arrest someone when they have no grounds for doing so. Your lawyer will examine the reason they pulled you over and arrested you and can object if it was illegal.
- Protecting Your Rights. Did police read you your rights before they questioned you? Did get permission before searching your car, or have legal grounds to search it? If the answer to any of these questions is no, evidence against you may be thrown out.
- Driving a Hard Bargain. The most valuable skill a DUI lawyer brings is the ability to negotiate with the prosecutor. A good DUI lawyer may be able to help you avoid jail, reduce costs, or get your DUI reduced to a lesser charge. They may even be able to get your case dropped altogether.
Talk to a Rancho Palos Verdes DUI Lawyer for Free
Our mission is to help drivers like you. We have developed a network of top DUI lawyers in the Rancho Palos Verdes area, and we will match you with one for free. Your lawyer will sit down with you for a FREE case consultation and help you understand your legal options.
Get the help you deserve. Fill out the form to the right, or call (310) 896-2724 to get your FREE consultation today.