Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Have you been charged with a DUI in Cudahy? A DUI is a serious offense with stiff consequences. This includes license suspension, mandatory DUI school, thousands of dollars in fines and fees, and potential jail time. You have to defend yourself.
Your best defense is a good Cudahy DUI lawyer. Your DUI lawyer will help you navigate the legal system, fight the case against you, negotiate with the prosecution, and possibly get the charge resolved before trial. You may even be able to get the charge reduced to Reckless Driving or dropped altogether.
Consequences of a DUI in Cudahy
DUI’s are expensive. They are a revenue stream for the city of Cudahy, and are heavily enforced. Fines start at $390 and go up significantly from there. On top of the fines you will be ordered to pay administrative fees, bringing the total to at least $1,800 and potentially far more. Altogether, a first-time DUI may cost up to $15,649.
But the penalties aren’t just financial. A first-time offense also includes:
- License suspension. You will lose your license for anywhere from four months up to one year.
- DUI school. Your mandatory traffic safety courses will last at least three months and may cost you over $500.
- Jail time. Your incarceration may last from two days to as much as six months.
- Probation. You must spend three to five years on probation. During this time, you may have to install an interlock device in your vehicle. This prevents your vehicle from starting while you are intoxicated.
- Car insurance rates. Even after the law is done with you, you continue to pay through skyrocketing insurance rates.
Penalties for first-time offenses are tough, but California state law establishes even tougher penalties for repeat offenders. If you had another DUI within the last ten years, your consequences increase:
- Extended license suspension. You could lose your license for several years. It may even be permanently revoked.
- More DUI school. Courses could last for three years. You may have to undergo addiction treatment as well.
- Longer jail time. You may face up to one year in jail or up to sixteen months in a state penitentiary.
- Stronger charges. The charge may increase to a felony. This goes on your permanent criminal record. A felony follows you for life.
- Heavier financial burden. Fines and fees routinely reach tens of thousands of dollars.
There may also be social consequences. Convictions carry a social stigma. Your DUI can disrupt jobs and job searches. It’s crucial to do all you can to get your case resolved as quickly and favorably as possible.
Three Urgent Deadlines in a Cudahy DUI Case
DUI cases begin many ways. Since Cudahy no longer has a local police department, you may have been arrested by the LA County Sheriff or a state trooper from the Santa Fe Springs division. And you may have spent a night or longer in jail at the Sheriff’s East Los Angeles station. But no matter how your case began, the arrest is only the beginning. You now face a complicated legal process marked by three urgent deadlines:
- Your DMV hearing. Your license will be suspended automatically unless you request a DMV hearing within 10 days of arrest. This “administrative suspension” is different from court suspension. Requesting the hearing is the only way to avoid it. Your DUI lawyer will help you file this request and show the DMV why you deserve to keep your driving privileges in the time leading up to trial.
- Arraignment. This short hearing before a judge is important for two reasons. First, it is the moment you plead Guilty, Not Guilty, or No Contest. Second, it’s your earliest chance to confront the prosecution. They want to see if you will be an easy conviction, and you want them to see you won’t be. The prosecution has limited time and resources, so show them your case will be tough. The best way to do that is by getting a strong lawyer—but you need to move quickly. The arraignment is usually held less than 14 days after arrest.
- Trial. Your day in court will likely be at the Downey Courthouse. But you may be able to avoid trial entirely. Most DUI cases are settled out of court. Your lawyer will work to make this happen by softening the prosecution’s case and bargaining with them for a deal. Time is your ally here. The more time you give your lawyer to construct a strong case, the better your outcome is likely to be.
Do You Really Need a DUI Lawyer?
Your DUI lawyer is your strongest advantage. They will leverage expert tactics in your favor, such as:
- Disputing breath and blood tests. These tests are often inaccurate. Poor calibration can cause them to give faulty results. Your lawyer can challenge the validity of the test and possibly get it thrown out.
- Spotting violations of your rights. If you were not read your Miranda rights, the case against you may be challenged. Your lawyer will use similar violations of rights and procedure as ammunition against the prosecution.
- Finding errors. Police reports and witness testimonies often contain conflicting information. Your lawyer will spot these conflicts and turn them to your advantage.
- Negotiating with the prosecution. An out of court deal is often your best opportunity to win your case. After working to weaken the case against you, your will lawyer will press the prosecution for a deal.
To win your case, you need a professional. Your lawyer is that professional. They will use proven tactics to turn the tide in your favor, and may even get your charge reduced to Reckless Driving—or dropped entirely.
Talk to a Cudahy DUI Lawyer for Free
Our mission is to help you turn a bad situation into a better one. We can connect you with a qualified DUI lawyer in the Cudahy area at NO cost to you. Every attorney we work with offers a complete case consultation for free.
Don’t miss your chance to turn your case around. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 to get your FREE consultation today.