Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
Facing a DUI in Torrance can be scary, especially if there’s strong evidence against you. Not only is there a chance of jail, but a DUI means losing your driver’s license. Don’t let your case become worse than it has to be. Finding the right Torrance DUI lawyer can help you protect yourself from the worst penalties. You may be able to avoid jail, prevent license suspension, or save thousands of dollars in fines—or even be proven Not Guilty.
A DUI is a bad mistake, but it doesn’t make you a bad person. You shouldn’t have to spend years paying for a single decision, and with a lawyer you may not have to. We firmly believe that the best step a DUI defendant can take is to hire a DUI attorney. They will navigate the legal system and fight for you in a way that no one else can.
The Cost of a DUI in Torrance, CA
Torrance has over 300 DUI arrests a year, and they are taken very seriously. Following a nationwide trend, the state laws against DUI have gotten tougher and tougher. This is not only to protect other drivers—it’s also a way to exact hefty fines and keep money coming in for local government. Unfortunately, that means there is very little mercy for you once you are arrested. A DUI is one of the most expensive misdemeanor charges you can face. The penalties for DUI in California are extensive. They depend on whether it is a first or subsequent offense. All DUI sentences, even first time convictions, include jail time and fines. The actual fine itself is $390, but if convicted you will also face a variety of court fees. Altogether, there are about $1800 in total fees. This is on top of a minimum 2 days in jail. For second, third or fourth convictions the fines and jail time spiral upward. Maximum penalties can be up to $18,000 and over a year in prison. That’s not all. Every level of DUI conviction comes with some level of mandatory alcohol education or treatment. For a first timer, this is a 3-month education course that costs $500. For repeat offenders, it could be up to 30 months of treatment—at a price tag of $1800. A DUI conviction also means a suspended or restricted driving license.
What Happens After Your DUI Arrest
When you are arrested for DUI in Torrance you will likely spend a night at the Torrance Police Station Jail Facility. This may vary depending on whether you are arrested by the Torrance Police Department, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office or the local arm of the California Highway Patrol. Once you are processed you will be released, but this is only the start of your troubles. You face a long legal battle that will include several stages.
- The DMV hearing. When you were processed for DUI you had your license taken away and were given a pink sheet of paper as a “temporary” (30 day) license instead. When you were given this document you should have been told you have a right to a hearing with the DMV to protest your license suspension. You may not have been told, however, that you have only 10 days to request this hearing. If you do not request it within 10 days you forfeit the right. A lawyer can help you succeed at this hearing so that you may be able to keep your license until your trial is over.
- The arraignment. A few weeks after arrest you’ll have an arraignment. The arraignment is a court appearance where you will enter your plea. It is imperative to have a lawyer before this date. You will be given a date for trial and the clock is now ticking.
- The waiting game. There can be months between your arraignment and your actual trial. This is the time that a good lawyer uses to build a case for you. A strong DUI defense involves legal research, review of evidence, communicating with the prosecution, and subpoenaing evidence or witnesses. These are all activities that are hard to do without professional legal counsel. If you have a DUI defense lawyer, they will handle all of this for you.
- Your trial. Your lawyer may be able to negotiate a favorable plea deal for you or even get your case dismissed. In some cases however you will have to go to trial. The trial will most likely be held at the Torrance Courthouse. DUI trials involve a jury which means that you have a chance to win an acquittal, especially if your lawyer has gotten some of the evidence against you thrown out.
Why You Should Hire a Torrance DUI Law Firm
Many DUI defendants are afraid to hire an attorney because they worry about the costs. Others think there is no way to win a DUI case. Both facing your case without a lawyer can lead to a much harsher outcome. Remember that a skilled DUI attorney knows how to navigate the system and can make a difference in your case, often with just a few hours of work. Although you will pay for their services, you may reduce the fines against you by thousands of dollars—or even walk away acquitted of all charges. There is a vast difference between a professional DUI attorney and the “public defender” the courts will provide you with. Public defenders know their job but they are overworked and have many cases besides yours. Most of them will not put in the time to sleuth through evidence. They will tell you to plead guilty at the first deal the prosecutor offers. Hiring a DUI attorney means you have an experienced professional fighting for you. They are there to make sure you don’t miss a single opportunity to protect yourself, and to maximize your chances of victory.
Finding the Best DUI Lawyer in Torrance, CA
There are many lawyers in the Torrance area, but not all of them offer equal expertise for DUI cases. Use these guidelines to make sure you get the best lawyer possible:
- Your lawyer must focus exclusively on DUIs and related law
- They can provide proof of experience in cases like yours
- They offer a consultation FREE OF CHARGE so you can decide if they will really help your case
- They listen to you, and you can tell they care about your case
How a Torrance Drunk Driving Lawyer Will Help You
You may be under the impression that the case against you is an open and shut case. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Even if your case looks unwinnable, a knowledgeable attorney may be able to help. They do this using several tactics:
- Examining the arrest process. If your rights were violated, there may be no case against you.
- Questioning the evidence. Was the breath test machine recently calibrated? Is its data from past cases questionable? If the data is no good, the breath test could be thrown out altogether.
- Sleuthing. Does the arresting officer’s statement today match what he said when he arrested you? Is there any inconsistency in the police report? What do other witnesses say?
- Negotiation. Prosecutors have more cases than they can pursue, and they focus on the most winnable ones. If your lawyer can make your case hard to prosecute, they may simply offer a bargain.
The results of these tactics can be dramatic. It’s possible that your case will be dropped, as if you had never been arrested at all. It’s also possible that the DUI charge will be downgraded to something less serious, like reckless driving. This would allow you to keep your license and avoid hefty DUI penalties. If the case still goes to trial, your lawyer will work tirelessly to make sure the jury has a “reasonable doubt.” Many DUI cases are acquitted.
How to Find Your DUI Attorney
Our site exists to put you in contact with a qualified, experienced DUI attorney who can help you. This service is completely FREE and pairs you with an attorney who will have a real impact on your case. All you do is provide basic details about your case and we will match you with the best Torrance DUI lawyer for your situation. Don’t live in fear of what’s going to happen at your trial—and don’t make the mistake of pleading guilty without a lawyer there to negotiate for you. Call us today for your FREE consultation at (310) 862-0199. Or fill out the form to your right to get started.