Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
DUI’s in El Segundo are serious. You face hefty fines, license suspension, DUI schooling, and even jail time. It is not a slap on the wrist. A DUI is a criminal offense with severe consequences.
But you can fight your DUI charge. An El Segundo DUI lawyer can help guide you through the legal system, challenge the evidence against you, bargain with the prosecution, and work to get you a favorable outcome. You could avoid trial, and might even get your charge reduced to Reckless Driving or dropped entirely. A good DUI lawyer could even save you thousands of dollars.
Penalties of a DUI in El Segundo
A DUI is costly. Between fines and administrative fees, you will pay at least $1,800. In many cases it will cost far more—up to a total of $15,649 for a first-time offense. These massive penalties are income for the City of El Segundo. The city holds all-night DUI checkpoints which can catch dozens of drivers at a time, and shows little leniency to those caught.
But the penalties aren’t just financial. First-time offenders face:
- License suspension. You will lose your license for a period from four months up to one year.
- DUI school. You must complete traffic safety courses lasting at least three months. This may cost you more than $500.
- Jail time. You will spend at least two days in jail, or up to six months.
- Probation. Your probation period will last three to five years. The judge or DMV may also order you to install an interlock device in your vehicle. This prevents the car from starting if you are intoxicated. It may require further breath samples during driving as well.
- Car insurance rates. Even after the government is done with you, you will likely end up paying higher insurance rates for years to come.
A DUI can also impact your job. Many DUI convicts have a hard time getting to work with no driver’s license, and court dates and jail time disrupt your work schedule. Employers can even choose not to hire you because of your DUI.
These penalties are already strict, but California state law makes them even stricter for repeat offenders. If you have had a previous DUI in the last 10 years, your consequences will be worse:
- Longer license suspension. Repeat offenders lose their license for several years. They may even face permanent revocation.
- Rehab and more DUI school. You may have to undergo addiction treatment, and your DUI school can last up to three years.
- Longer incarceration. You may spend as long as one year in jail or up to sixteen months in a state penitentiary.
- Felony status. You could face felony charges. That means the DUI will remain on your criminal record for life, and affect your basic rights.
- Heavy costs. Fines and fees for repeat offenders may be crippling. They often reach tens of thousands of dollars.
Three Deadlines in a DUI Case
A DUI arrest can be intimidating. You may have been arrested by the El Segundo Police Department, the LA County Sheriff, or a state trooper from the West Los Angeles office. You might even have spent a night in jail at the El Segundo Police Station. But the arrest is only the beginning. You now face a long legal battle with three fast-moving deadlines. How you prepare for each of these deadlines will help determine your future. They are:
- DMV Hearing. If you want to keep your license during the period leading up to trial, you must request a hearing at the DMV within 10 days of arrest. This “administrative suspension” is separate from court sentencing, and happens even if your charge is later dropped. Your DUI lawyer will help you file the request and show the DMV why you deserve to keep your driving privileges.
- Arraignment. This brief hearing is the moment you plead Guilty, Not Guilty, or No Contest. It happens less than two weeks from your arrest, but it’s arguably the most important date in your case. This is because it is your first opportunity to show the prosecution your conviction will be difficult. Their resources are limited, and they don’t want to waste time and money on tough cases. If you have a strong DUI lawyer, it shows you plan to fight. This alone may get a much better deal from the prosecutor.
- Trial. If you go to trial it will be at the Airport Courthouse. But it’s possible to resolve your case without trial. Your lawyer will fight for an out-of-court deal by attacking the evidence against you and pushing the prosecution for a bargain. Use time to your advantage here—trial typically happens within 30-45 days from arrest, and the sooner you get a lawyer on your case, the better your odds will be.
How to Beat an El Segundo DUI
The best way for win your case is with a DUI lawyer. Your lawyer will use proven tactics to turn the prosecution’s own evidence against them:
- Intoxication tests. Blood and breath tests are often inaccurate. Your lawyer can challenge these measures on grounds of validity and get them thrown out.
- Arrest procedure. You are guaranteed certain rights under the law. If the arresting officer violated these rights or failed to follow procedure, your lawyer can turn this to your favor.
- Errors in testimonies. Police and witness reports often conflict. Sometimes the police are just wrong. Your lawyer will find the inconsistencies and use them to build your case.
- Bargaining with the prosecution. Negotiating with the prosecution is often the best way to beat a DUI charge. Your lawyer’s job is to bring the prosecutor to the table and force them to give you a way out.
DUI lawyers routinely win good outcomes for their clients, both in and out of court. They may be able to get your DUI reduced to a lesser charge, or even win your case outright.
Talk to an El Segundo DUI Lawyer for Free
We believe every driver deserves a good defense. We can connect you with a top DUI lawyer in the El Segundo area. Every attorney we work with focuses exclusively on DUI and offers a complete case consultation for FREE.
Turn your case around before it’s too late. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 to get your FREE consultation today.