Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
A DUI charge in San Gabriel is serious. Sentences may include license suspension, jail time, court ordered safety classes and fines in the thousands of dollars. Prosecution is fierce and judges are not inclined to show mercy. If you’re facing a DUI charge, you need to defend yourself.
The best defense is to have a good San Gabriel DUI lawyer. A good DUI lawyer in Los Angeles can guide you through the complex legal system, negotiate with prosecutors, and perhaps even win your case before it even makes it to trial. In many cases they may be able to keep you out of jail or even save you money on fines and fees.
How Much Does a DUI Cost in San Gabriel?
DUIs are expensive. Fines have increased in recent years, and local communities see DUI charges as a source of revenue. The City of San Gabriel, is no different. The area strictly enforces drunk driving laws and pushes for heavy penalties in many cases. A single first time DUI may cost you up to $15,649.
But the penalties for DUI include much more than fines. Even the sentences for first time DUI offenders are steep. They include:
- Jail time. Even the simplest DUI can carry a jail sentence. Total jail time may be as little as two days or as long as six months. Prosecutors often push for hefty jail sentences and many judges take their recommendations.
- License suspension. Your drivers license will be suspended for anywhere from a few months to a year.
- DUI school. DUI offenders must attend DUI school, a traffic safety course lasting a minimum of three months. You pay for the cost of the course, which is typically over $500.
- Hefty fees. The base fine for a DUI is $390, but the court adds fees on top of it. These fees are substantial. The minimum cost for a first time DUI is about $1,800, and potentially much more.
- Even after serving your sentence you will spend three years on informal probation. You may have to install an interlock device in your vehicle or meet other obligations as decided by the judge.
These are the most lenient penalties. Under California state law, you face a tougher sentence if you have previous DUI’s or if your DUI involved an accident or injury. You could spend up to a year in jail or up to 16 months in state prison. Your license will be suspended for two years, three years or even permanently. And in some cases you may even be tried as a felon.
What Happens after a DUI Arrest in San Gabriel?
In San Gabriel you may have been arrested by the San Gabriel Police Department, the LA County Sheriff or a state trooper. You’ll usually be held overnight at the San Gabriel Police station. Afterward you may be released on bail or on your own recognizance (a promise to return for court dates). At this point the process has only begun. You now face a legal battle which moves quickly and has several important deadlines. Each of these deadlines requires you to act to defend yourself.
The major deadlines in a DUI case include:
- DMV Hearing. Your license will be automatically suspended after your arrest unless you request a hearing within 10 days. This “administrative suspension” is handled by the California DMV and goes into effect even if you haven’t been proven guilty. You only get one chance to file for a hearing—if you miss the ten day deadline, you will simply lose your license. Speak to a DUI lawyer immediately and ask them to help you with the hearing. They can represent you and they will make a strong case for why you should keep your license until trial.
- The arraignment is a short hearing before a judge. It typically happens within two weeks of your arrest date, often much sooner. This hearing is where you hear the charges against you and enter a plea. In many ways it’s a legal formality. However, the prosecution will be present and they will be watching you. They have a busy schedule and they want to know whether it will be easy to convict you. If so, they will be merciless. But if you already have a reputable DUI lawyer at your side, they’ll know you’re not an easy case. This is often when the prosecution suddenly becomes much more generous in what they’re willing to offer you.
- If you go to trial it will be held at the Alhambra Courthouse. But in most cases, your DUI lawyer’s goal is to win your case for you without facing trial. They will work to challenge all the evidence in your case. If possible they’ll force the prosecution to offer you a deal. This can mean having the charge reduced to reckless driving, or even getting the case dismissed altogether.
Do I Need a DUI Lawyer in San Gabriel?
You are not required to get a lawyer to fight a DUI charge. However, defendants who proceed without a lawyer are often seen as easy pickings by the prosecution. A good DUI lawyer does much more than just represent you at court. They research every piece of evidence against you and look for holes. They work tirelessly to get you a way out of the DUI charge.
Some of the tactics they may use include:
- Challenging the validity of the breath test or blood test, and potentially getting it thrown out.
- Finding inconsistencies in police officer testimony and discrediting the officer’s judgment.
- Challenging the validity of the traffic stop, the arrest or searching your vehicle.
- Looking for violations of your Constitutional rights and getting evidence excluded from the proceedings if your rights were violated.
- Pressuring the prosecution at the bargaining table and getting you a favorable offer.
Talk to a San Gabriel DUI Lawyer for Free
Getting a DUI does not make you a bad person. You deserve a strong defense. We can match you with a San Gabriel DUI lawyer who has the right skills for your case. Every lawyer we work with focuses 100% on DUI law and will offer you a FREE consultation.
Get the assistance you need today. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 and get your FREE consultation now.