Get a DUI Attorney Near Me
A DUI in San Marino is a serious offense. You face license suspension, traffic safety school, probation, and even jail time. You could be paying for years to come. You need to fight the charge.
The best way to defend yourself is with a strong San Marino DUI lawyer. Your lawyer will challenge the evidence against you, negotiate with the prosecution, and possibly even get your charge reduced to Reckless Driving or dropped altogether. A strong lawyer can turn your case around—and potentially save you thousands of dollars.
Cost of a DUI in San Marino
A DUI is a very expensive charge. Every conviction brings in revenue for the city of San Marino, and the entire area holds routine DUI checkpoints to catch as many drivers as possible. If convicted, your DUI fines and fees will total at least $1,800 and potentially much more. The total expense of a first-time DUI can reach as high as $15,649.
But financial penalties are only the beginning. A DUI carries some of the most complicated and onerous sentences of any misdemeanor. Penalties for a first-time DUI include:
- License suspension. You will lose your driver’s license if convicted of DUI. You may spend anywhere from six months to one year with no driving privileges.
- DUI school. You must also take courses in traffic safety. These will last at least three months. The cost of the course will be easily over $500.
- Jail time. All DUIs now come with potential jail sentences. The sentence for a first offense is anywhere from two days to six months.
- Probation. You will put on a probationary period for three to five years. This period may come with a variety of extra penalties or restrictions. You may even have to install a special machine in your car called an interlock device. This machine requires you to give a breath sample when you start your vehicle and at regular periods during driving. The car will not start if there is any trace of alcohol.
- Insurance rates. Insurance companies will be tougher on you. Your rates may go through the roof.
Your career can also suffer. Many DUI defendants lose their job during their jail sentence or because they cannot get to and from work. And employers have the right not to hire you because of a DUI on your record.
California state law establishes even stricter penalties if you have previous DUIs in the last 10 years. You could lose your driver’s license for two to three years, or even permanently. Your DUI school course may last for 30 months. And you could face up to one year in jail or sixteen months in a state prison. A second or third DUI conviction could cost you tens of thousands of dollars, or follow you for life—if you don’t take action to fight it.
What to Do After a DUI Arrest in San Marino
If you were arrested in San Marino you may have been brought in by the Alhambra Jail. But your arrest was just the beginning. You must now plan how to meet the legal process head on—and that means preparing for three critical deadlines:
- DMV hearing request. The only way to keep your license during the period leading up to trial is to request a hearing within 10 days. If you miss the deadline you will suffer “administrative suspension.” You must file the request with the DMV and then present the right evidence at the hearing. Your DUI lawyer can handle the entire process for you.
- Arraignment. This hearing typically happens less than two weeks from arrest. It is when you plead Guilty, Not Guilty, or No Contest. But it’s also when you first encounter the prosecution. They will try to gauge whether it will be easy to convict you. Having a reputable DUI lawyer by you sends a message that yours will be a tough case, and may force them to negotiate.
- Trial. The last important deadline is your trial. This may happen at the Pasadena Courthouse. But most cases never need to go to trial. Your lawyer will work to undermine the evidence against you, then pressure the prosecution for an out-of-court deal. This is what you want. But it takes time to put together a strong case. The more time you give your lawyer to plan your defense, the better. Trial may happen less then one month from arrest.
How to Win a DUI Case
The best way to get a good outcome is to have a strong DUI lawyer. Your lawyer is trained in the tactics that win DUI cases. They will:
- Challenge chemical tests. Breathalyzers and blood tests are often inaccurate. Your lawyer will challenge their validity and could get them thrown out.
- Find violations of rights and procedures. Arrests must be made according to strict procedures. Officers may have made mistakes, such as failing to read you your Miranda rights. Your lawyer will use these violations to get evidence against you suppressed.
- Cross-examine reports and testimonies. Police and witness testimonies often contain errors and inconsistencies. Your lawyer will use these to call the reports into question.
- Bargain with the prosecution. You can make a deal with the prosecution. Your lawyer will work to overturn the evidence against you, then negotiate for a deal. You could end up winning your case without ever going to trial.
A good DUI lawyer may save you thousands of dollars, keep you out of jail, or get the charge reduced to something less serious. They may even get your case dropped altogether.
Talk to a San Marino DUI Lawyer for Free
Our mission is to help you get the defense you need. We can connect you with a top DUI lawyer in the San Marino area. Your lawyer will sit down with you and give you a complete evaluation of your case for FREE.
Turn your case around now. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 to get your FREE consultation today.