A Canoga Park impaired driving arrest may feel like the end of the world. However, you can partner with a Canoga Park DUI lawyer to contest your charge. With the right attorney at your side, you are in good shape to have your charge dismissed or reduced.
Start searching for a Canoga Park DUI attorney today. You may quickly find a qualified attorney that can assist you. Your lawyer can take a look at your case and help you develop a legal strategy.
Do Not Expect a Canoga Park DUI Charge to Disappear on Its Own
Thousands of people are arrested for DUI in California every year. No matter when a DUI arrest occurs, the issue can escalate. If you try to ignore the ramifications of a DUI arrest in Canoga Park, you may face serious penalties in the near future.
In many instances, a California DUI offense is considered a misdemeanor. You may receive a license suspension, fine, or probation. In a more serious case, you may have to serve jail time.
A DUI lawyer in Canoga Park will do their part to get your DUI charge lowered. To do so, your attorney will evaluate your charge and what happened during your arrest. From here, your lawyer can provide you with personalized tips on how to contest your charge.
How Long Your Driver’s License Can Be Suspended for After a Canoga Park DUI Arrest
If you get arrested for a DUI for the first time, you will have your driver’s license suspended for four months. This applies to individuals who are 21 or older and took a test that indicates their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) was 0.08% or higher. For these individuals, a subsequent DUI offense within 10 years of their initial one will result in a one-year suspension of their driver’s license.
Ultimately, your license will be suspended within 30 days of your DUI arrest. You can request a hearing with the DMV to appeal your driver’s license suspension. Yet, you must do so within 10 days of your arrest.
A DUI attorney in Canoga Park will do everything in their power to help you retain your driver’s license. In addition to filing an appeal on your behalf, your lawyer can help you prepare an argument to support your claim. Your lawyer will make sure you can present an abundance of evidence that helps you keep your license and get your DUI charge dismissed or reduced.
How the DUI Process Works in Canoga Park
Following your DUI arrest, it is important to hire an attorney. Choose a lawyer that can provide you with a wealth of resources relating to DUI arrests. This lawyer can provide ample support at each stage of your DUI case.
After you hire a lawyer, here are the steps that you will go through during your DUI case:
- DMV Hearing: You can attend a hearing to explain why the DMV should not suspend your driver’s license.
- Arraignment: You and your attorney enter a plea of “guilty” or “not guilty” before a judge.
- Pre-Trial: Your attorney looks at the evidence that the prosecution will present and considers how to dispute it.
- Trial: You and your lawyer appear in court, present your argument, and get a final decision on whether you will be convicted of a DUI.
Your attorney leaves no stone unturned in their efforts to resolve your case. There may be times when you need to go through the entire process to get your DUI charge dropped. Or, you may be able to negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecution.
Types of Plea Bargains You May Want to Consider in a Canoga Park DUI Case
A plea bargain represents an alternative to going to court and arguing your case during a trial. You or the prosecutor can propose a plea bargain at any point leading up to your trial. You may consider several types of plea bargains, including:
- Wet Reckless: By accepting this type of plea bargain, you agree to a lesser charge than the one you originally received.
- Dry Reckless: You may get or offer a dry reckless plea bargain if there was an issue with chemical testing performed by your arresting officer or if your BAC was near the legal limit.
- Exhibition of Speed: You may be punished on the basis of a speeding charge rather than a DUI.
- Open Container: You may be punished for having a container of alcohol open in your vehicle instead of a DUI.
Your attorney can teach you about the different types of plea bargains and their respective pros and cons. If you get or propose a plea bargain, your lawyer can help you along the way. In doing so, your attorney will make sure you are well-positioned for legal success, regardless of whether a plea bargain is approved.
How a DUI Attorney in Canoga Park Helps You During Your Trial
If your DUI case goes to trial, your attorney will be at your side. At this point, your lawyer will do what it takes to dispute any evidence against you, which can include:
- An arresting officer’s testimony relating to your driving pattern and behavior
- Field sobriety tests requested by the arresting officer
- Blood, breath, and urine tests you completed
- Your own statements from the time of your arrest
Your lawyer commits time, energy, and resources to build a case that compels the court to rule in your favor. In the best-case scenario, your attorney raises doubts about the prosecution’s evidence. If your lawyer is successful, your DUI charge will be cleared, and you will not have to worry about the long-term harm that comes with a DUI conviction.
Get Started on Disputing Your Canoga Park DUI Charge
If you were recently arrested for a DUI in Canoga Park, do not wait any longer to hire an attorney. By reaching out to a DUI lawyer in Canoga Park, you can take the first step to dispute your charge and work on getting it cleared. For more information on how to hire a DUI lawyer, please contact us today.