You can be sued by the victims of your DUI for medical costs, car repair, and other damages.
If you are accused of DUI and there is an accident involved, the victims of the accident have the right to sue you for damages. Examples of damages in a DUI case include:
- Car repairs
- Repairing fences, landscaping or other property that was struck
- Medical care for injuries
- Time missed at work because of injuries
- Final expenses for someone who lost their life
- Compensation for pain and suffering
Most DUI lawsuits don’t start until after the criminal proceedings are over. This is because California law already includes some built-in compensation for crime victims known as restitution. Restitution is ordered by the judge at sentencing and includes payment for all the types of damage listed above. In theory, this should satisfy the victims without the need for a lawsuit. But victims may choose to sue anyway, for two reasons:
- They do not feel that the restitution order adequately compensated them for their losses
- You were not convicted, so no restitution was ever ordered
This is the most serious aspect of a DUI lawsuit—you can be sued even if you are not found guilty of DUI. The lawsuit is resolved in civil court and is separate from the criminal charge altogether.
Have you been charged with DUI? We can connect you with an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer and get you a FREE consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 896-2724 and get your free consultation today.