In California, DUI fines start at $390, plus thousands more in court fees.
Fines are financial penalties you pay if you are convicted of a crime. California law sets the minimum and maximum fine amounts for most criminal offenses, and DUI is no exception. In fact, DUI is one of the most expensive crimes you can be charged with. If convicted, it’s not uncommon for fines and fees to total several thousand dollars or more.
It’s important to understand that fines are only part of what you pay if convicted. Your sentence will include the actual criminal fine, mandated by state law, but it will also include special fees paid to the court. This is how DUI costs get go up so quickly.
In California, the fines for basic DUI offenses are:
- $390 to $1,000 for a first time DUI
- $390 to $1,000 for a second DUI within 10 years
- $390 to $5,000 for a third or subsequent DUI within 10 years
These numbers give the judge considerable leeway. Judges consider many factors when deciding your sentence:
- Did the DUI appear to be an accident, or was it willful or reckless?
- Do you seem to feel regret about what you did?
- What other circumstances surround the DUI—did you commit other violations?
- What is your previous record like?
DUI fines are just part of the punishment. You will also face jail, a license suspension, mandatory traffic school and other consequences.
Have you been charged with DUI? We can connect you with an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer and get you a FREE consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your free consultation today.