A DUI lawyer is an attorney who focuses their practice on drunk driving cases. The more experience a DUI lawyer has, the more they can typically do for their clients.
In California, any licensed criminal defense attorney can accept DUI cases. But not all lawyers have equal experience defending these cases—and not all get the same results. A DUI lawyer is an attorney who devotes all or most of their practice to drunk driving, drugged driving, and related cases.
There is no rule that you have to get a lawyer if arrested for DUI. Many defendants choose to accept a public defender instead, if they qualify. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these cases end with pleading guilty. That’s why some drivers choose to get a lawyer of their own.
If you are looking for a lawyer for a DUI case, here is what you should look for:
- The attorney focuses primarily on DUI. They don’t just take any kind of case that walks through the door.
- The attorney has lengthy experience as a DUI attorney, preferably 10 years or more.
- They may have prior experience working as a prosecutor on DUI cases. This gives them an edge in the courtroom.
- They may have taken special classes and seminars on DUI law, or even teach these classes to other lawyers.
- They may hold special certification in DUI defense from the California Bar Association.
Your lawyer does not have to have all of these requirements, but the more knowledgeable they are about DUI defense, the more they can do for you.
Have you been charged with DUI? We can connect you with an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer and get you a FREE consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your free consultation today.