There is no one lawyer who is “the best” at DUI cases. Los Angeles has many experienced DUI attorneys who do good work for their clients. There are, however, ways to tell whether a specific lawyer knows how to handle your DUI case and whether you should trust them with your future. Being charged with DUI is a serious, often life-changing moment, and the repercussions can last for decades. That’s why it’s so important to find a lawyer who has the right experience and knowledge to get you the best outcome possible.
5 Warning Signs of Bad DUI Lawyers
Just because a lawyer says they take DUI cases does not mean they are the right lawyer for you. Here are some warning signs you can look for when considering a DUI lawyer:
- They promise they can win. No lawyer can predict the outcome of a case, and even the best DUI lawyer does not have total control over what will happen. A good lawyer will tell you what is most likely and they will have a track record to back it up.
- They say they are the only person who can help you. This is the sign of strongarm sales tactics, not legal expertise. Talented attorneys speak of their competitors with respect and can clearly explain what they do differently that sets them apart.
- They cannot reference other cases like yours that they have won. This is a huge red flag. Tell the lawyer about the specifics of your case and ask if they have dealt with this before. Was there a child in the car? Did your DUI involve an illegal drug? Was your license already suspended for something else? An experienced DUI lawyer has seen all of these situations before.
- They want to charge you for their consultation. Your first consultation should be your chance to feel out the lawyer and find out of they’re right for you. You should not have to pay for it, period.
- They take any type of case they can get. DUI law is very complex and lawyers can spend years working on cases before they become highly knowledgeable. That means you should seek out someone who works exclusively on this type of case. The lawyer who also takes personal injury claims, divorces, or robbery cases is probably not the right lawyer for you.
- They don’t listen to you. The best lawyers are compassionate and attentive when you talk. They want to understand your specific case and help you succeed. If a lawyer doesn’t seem to listen to you, you can probably do better.
Find the Best Los Angeles DUI Lawyer for Your Case
Have you been charged with DUI? We can connect you with an experienced Los Angeles DUI lawyer and get you a FREE consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call (310) 862-0199 and get your free consultation today.