Los Angeles Does NOT Go Easy On DUI Offenders
Drinking and driving is not uncommon—many people get behind the wheel thinking they’re perfectly safe to drive. Unfortunately, the law doesn’t always agree. And even one DUI arrest can have serious consequences.
But not every arrest has to lead to a conviction.
In fact, many people get a lawyer to represent their case—and if the lawyer is experienced, there’s a good chance you can avoid jail, keep your license, or even walk away with no DUI conviction at all.
If you want a top Los Angeles DUI lawyer fighting for YOU, we can help. Let us give you a FREE consultation on your case today. Call 310-862-0199 and get your free consultation now.
The 3 Facts You Need to Know After a DUI Arrest in California
If you’ve been arrested for DUI, the first thing you need to do is educate yourself. The DUI process in California is complex, and the consequences are often far more serious than you’d expect. Here are the three most important facts you need to know:
- The $15,000 Price Tag
It’s shocking, but one DUI conviction in Southern California can cost you up to $15,649 — and that’s for a first-time DUI. That figure includes not only the fines, but the court fees and other expenses that can be imposed on a convicted DUI offender. This price tag alone is one of the biggest reasons to fight your DUI charge, even if you really did have a drink or two before driving.
- The 10-Day Deadline
There are several ways you can lose your license for DUI in California, but the DMV will take it away automatically if you don’t take action fast. From the date of your arrest, you have 10 days to request a hearing from the DMV, or your license will be suspended. You can lose your license even if you never get convicted!
- The Jail Time
Even a first-time DUI carries jail time in California! And for most people, this is the part they’re most worried about. First-offense DUI carries up to 6 months in jail, with a minimum 3 day sentence. However, the judge has the power to waive your jail time as part of your probation. A good DUI lawyer will work from the start to get you through your DUI with no jail time at all if possible.
The DUI Process in Los Angeles
California has a particularly complex DUI process. That’s because the DMV and the courts are both involved—even though the DMV is not a law enforcement agency.
Here’s what to expect:
Fighting for Your License
- After your arrest, you have 10 days to request your hearing from the DMV, or you lose your license automatically.
- If you request the hearing, you will get to keep your license until the hearing date, but you still have to make a case. Your DUI lawyer can handle the DMV for you.
- The hearing itself will not take place for a while—often months. That means that if you win your criminal case in the meantime, you may never have to do the hearing at all.
Fighting Your Criminal Case
- Shortly after your arrest you will have a hearing with a judge. This is where you officially enter your plea. It may be several weeks out after your arrest date. Get a lawyer before your first hearing!
- Your attorney will then go through an intense process of investigation, legal motions, and negotiation with the prosecutor. This may take weeks or months, and can last up until your trial date.
- Your lawyer MAY be able to file motions to suppress any breath test/blood test evidence, or other evidence, depending on your case. This can be crucial to getting the charges dropped.
- In some cases, your case will go to trial by jury. In many cases, however, a lawyer can negotiate a good outcome for you without the trial ever happening.
No lawyer can guarantee an outcome. But a good attorney may be able to get you:
- NO jail time
- NO license suspension
- LOWER fines
- LESS serious charge—not DUI
- NO CONVICTION AT ALL
Want to share the love? Use the embed code below to share the infographic on your own site or across the web:
<a target="_blank" href="https://www.losangelesduiattorney.com/dui-faq/what-happens-when-you-get-a-dui-in-los-angeles/"><img src="https://1dhzvm3ch9ve1ts2ulmy2d1b-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/what-happens-when-you-get-a-dui-in-los-angeles-web.png" width="1000" height="432" alt="What Happens When You Get a DUI in Los Angeles - Infographic from LosAngelesDUIAttorney.com"/></a>
What should I do after my DUI arrest?
- Stop answering questions from the police. Your right to remain silent is your most important right—use it. After an arrest, police will talk as if they can help you or go easy on you. Don’t believe it. The only reason police ask you questions is to gather more evidence to convict you. Stop talking, period.
- Act fast to protect your license. The police should have given you notification of your pending license suspension, and a form with instructions to request a hearing. You can set it up yourself or you can ask your lawyer to do it. This needs to be done immediately—the 10 day deadline comes fast.
- Take the time to talk to an attorney. There is no single action you can take that helps you more. than getting proper legal advice. If you’re innocent, talk to a lawyer. If you’re guilty, talk to a lawyer. If you feel caught up in a legal system that does not have your best interests at heart: talk to a lawyer!
Start Fighting Your DUI Today
The numbers are clear: roughly 700 people are arrested for DUI in Los Angeles every year. Of those, the unlucky ones will go on to face jail time, massive fines, a suspended drivers license, or all three. The smart ones, however, will hire a DUI lawyer—and many will walk away with no DUI conviction at all.
Let our attorneys help you. We have the experience, the resources, and the knowledge to maximize your chances in the DUI process. Just because you were arrested does not mean you will be found guilty.
Give us a call and get a FREE consultation with a top DUI lawyer today. Call 310-862-0199 and get your FREE consultation now.