The New Year is coming up very soon, and with that comes a slew of new laws that drivers will need to be aware of. Some of them are DUI-related and others aren’t, but you need to be aware of all of them so you don’t get pulled over and arrested. Here is what you need to know:
- If you have a child younger than two, they must sit in a rear-facing car seat.
- The distracted driving laws have been expanded to things beyond texting, such as playing games like Pokemon Go while driving.
- Companies that hire drivers cannot hire sex offenders, people with violent felonies, or people convicted of DUI in the past seven years. This law is primarily targeted at Uber and Lyft.
- There is a new law that dictates how fast motorcycles can drive between lanes. Essentially, the CHP will use their best judgement on what is too fast depending on conditions. There is also a new legal definition for a lane for these instances.
- Uber and Lyft drivers will also need to comply with the same BAC laws as commercial drivers. No more than 0.04% or you’ll get a DUI.
- Ignition interlocks are now required on all DUI offender’s vehicles.
- Bus drivers are receiving additional training to inform riders of how to get off a bus in an emergency and to avoid leaving students behind on buses.
There are many more laws coming as well. For the full list, read the full article at the LA Times.
If you’ve been arrested for drunk driving in Los Angeles, don’t panic. Call the Los Angeles DUI Defense Team today for a free consultation.