Cell Phone Trace Leads to DUI Arrest

A man’s cell phone led police to his location, allowing them to arrest him for suspected DUI and other charges.

Christopher J. George of Leighton, was arrested two hours after a traffic stop in which he fled police. He is in jail with a $50,000 bond facing charges of driving under the influence of a controlled substance, driving without a license, driving on the wrong side of the road, running a stop sign, and fleeing the police.

According to one of the arresting officers, George also had a weapon in his possession. George tossed that weapon into the woods before surrendering to officers.

Police chief Audie Mertz first spotted George just before 8:30 a.m. heading south on Route 209, turning onto Beaver Street. George then began driving in the wrong lane, narrowly missing sliding into a drainage ditch.

George was speeding at 11 m.p.h. over the posted speed limit, and Mertz followed him, observing him running a stop sign. Mertz engaged his lights and siren, but George continued for a mile before finally pulling over.

Mertz observed at the time that George’s pupils were constricted and his lips were dry and cracked.

Mertz took George’s keys and ordered him out of the car. At this point, George fled into the woods.

The Carbon Communications center helped to identify George’s cell phone number and a “ping” was sent to the phone. This put George’s location at just east of Mahoning Heights Road.

George was spotted by another detective eight minutes later. That officer approached from that direction while Mertz approached from another.

Mertz caught George as he fled from the other officer.

When asked when he last used drugs, George admitted to having used marijuana two weeks ago, but nothing since.

He consented to a blood test, which was sent to a lab for analysis.

If you have been charged with DUI, you will need legal representation. Choose the lawyers who specialize in the defense of DUI charges. Contact us today.

Related Frequently Asked Questions